Screen edge mouse gestures

I don't see any triggers for left/right edge, only top/bottom and the screen corners. How are you accessing these?

Upon checking it seems you're correct. Perhaps there were options for left/right edges when I made that post a year ago which have since been deprecated, but most likely I just didn't notice that there were only options for top/bottom and not left/right edges when I was writing up my suggestion. It seems logical that all edges would be available so I guess I just made an assumption. Still, I wish there was some interest in this suggestion, using these gestures would be so quick and powerful. Oh well.

I think I just forgot these :slight_smile: will add them soon.

4 Likes

Great to hear this! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I'm looking forward to left/right edge triggers. It would solve my similar request: Trigger request: Move mouse to left/right edge

1 Like

Eagerly awaiting these triggers :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I check every day for an update in hopes that they've been added. Please don't forget about them. :pray: Thanks!

1 Like

@Andreas_Hegenberg You've been releasing wonderful features and updates. :grinning: Any idea when you might be able to add the "move mouse to left/right edge of screen " triggers? Thank you.

2 Likes

Curious about the status of these requested triggers. It would be great to have these triggers for the left and right edge @Andreas_Hegenberg.

1 Like

Triggers for moving to the left and right edges, and for moving away from them, have been added in 4.030 alpha (currently uploading should be available in 10 minutes)

2 Likes

@Andreas_Hegenberg, thank you for adding these! I just installed 4.030 alpha and the new triggers are working. I'll continue to test it this week. :+1:

@Andreas_Hegenberg If possible, a delay would be useful to avoid accidentally triggering an action. Something like this.

@frank1 ah I forgot to activate that UI element. Should be available in 4.031 in a few minutes

2 Likes

By the way, a "delay and wait for.... action" that cancels a macro or continues it in another way if the "wait for" does not come, does not yet exist to my knowledge. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, that would be very useful ... at some point :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not as an action. It can be done using the Apple Script trigger_named_async_without_response and cancel_delayed_named_trigger_execution
functions provided by BTT though.

E.g.

tell application "BetterTouchTool"
trigger_named_async_without_response "TheNameOfTheNamedTrigger" delay 5
end tell

To cancel:

tell application "BetterTouchTool"
cancel_delayed_named_trigger_execution "TheNameOfTheNamedTrigger"
end tell
1 Like

Mmm, ok, but since I am not a coder and have no idea about Apple Scripts or any scripts I leave that to others :sweat_smile:

It's basically just replacing "TheNameOfTheNamedTrigger" with your named trigger name :wink:
But I'll add a UI for this at some point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, wait it seems easier than I thought. Run "Named Trigger" 1 or 2 right? If nothing happens in 5 s?

@Andreas_Hegenberg Is it possible to have a slightly faster trigger response or is that too resource intensive?

I have the delay set to zero but the mouse pointer still has to exist at the screen edge for a moment longer than I'd like before triggering.

I'm trying to mimic macOS Hot Corners where I can whip the mouse to the screen edge and back without any pause.

Here's a quick screen recording that shows how quickly I'm trying to trigger an action using "Move Mouse To Left Edge Of Screen." You can see it works if I'm a tiny bit slower. I also have macOS Hot Corner enabled in the video for speed comparison.

(BTT v4.031, Apple M1 Max, Ventura 13.2.1)

I can add it as an option, but it does cause some extra CPU usage. Currently the mouse position is checked every 0.2 seconds I think

1 Like

I'd love the option and would be willing to sacrifice some CPU resources for faster response time. Thank you!

1 Like

4.033 (currently building) adds this as a hidden option for now. You can change the check interval via this terminal command (BTT needs to be quit):

defaults write com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool BTTMouseCheckInterval 0.1

The default value is 0.2

2 Likes