Safari Hangs When Opening a New Window

Describe the bug

When BTT is set as the default browser, Safari will unexpectedly hang when a URL is opened and a new window opens. The spinning beach ball will appear, sometimes when the URL is loading, sometimes after a page has loaded. The hang happens within 30 seconds of the window opening.
Once there is any window already open, the issue does not persist.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Issue occurs when either:

• Clicking a URL outside Safari
  • Using Alfred or Spotlight to open a URL

and

• there is no Safari window open.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 14" (2021, M1 Pro, 32GB RAM)
  • macOS version: MacOS v14.1 (23B74)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.317
  • Safari version: 17.1 (19616.2.9.11.7)

NB: Safari has profiles enabled, I only noticed the issue after profiles enabled, but this could be mere correlation.

Additional information (e.g. crash logs, related issues, etc.):
I have done the following to isolate the problem to BTT:

• Disabled all extensions in Safari
  • Quit BTT
  • Run on new test account on my MBP with only BTT set as default browser. Issue persists.
  • Issue stops if all settings / extensions returned, but BTT no longer default browser.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received! Thanks. :smile:

So I have today (2023-11-07) updated BTT to alpha version 4.321 and the problem has totally gone! Success!

1 Like

strange, glad it’s resolved - but I have no idea what could have caused that. Maybe just a coincidence?

Yeah it certainly seems like it's probably a coincidence – suggesting that something else was causing the problem. I thought I had completely narrowed it down to BTT... but obviously something else was going on. :person_shrugging:
Bit unsatisfying to not have isolated the fault... hopefully it either stays away forever or comes back in a nice a repeatable way! :slight_smile: