Resize both windows when snapped together

It would be great if two snapped together windows could be resized simultaneously. This is how Ubuntu works these day. Example:

• Snap window A to left side of screen
  • Snap window B to right side of screen
  • A and B now occupy half the screen each and have a "common" edge in the middle of the screen
  • Dragging the "common edge" right makes window A grow and window B shrink

unfortunately the macOS APIs make it very hard to do something like this reliable.

However I currently assume Apple will add support for window snapping with macOS 10.15 - they would be able to add something like this.

Might sound stupid, but isn't this basically the split screen?

Kind of, but that only works in full-screen which personally I don't like.

2 Likes

Is there any update jomag's question now with macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or 11 (Big Sur)? I also very much like and often use the mentioned Ubuntu functionality and would welcome it on my iMac a lot!

+1 for this one.
This would be a killer feature and it is one area when for example windows 10 management of windows makes it so easy to create a window layout and than dynamically adjust all windows together.

+1 - it would be really nice to have this functionality.

Hi, has this feature been added since then? I just downloaded BTT and haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

Here is what I'm hoping it can do. The screencap is from AquaSnap's website.

unfortunately no, the available APIs are still very limited here, thus I'm unable to add this in a performant way