Remap Caps Lock to Backspace?

Is there any way to remap Caps Lock to Backspace for Colemak support, where caps lock is typically backspace?

When I go to create a new shortcut, if I click the caps lock key, it does nothing.

EDIT: Got it to finally detect caps lock, but it also toggles caps lock on every time it's pressed.

Is there some way to make it only act as a backspace and not as a caps lock at all?

Hate leaving Multitouch or Karabiner running just for 1 key lol

Looks like I may need to stick with Multitouch or Karabiner, due to the way BTT is remapping keys.

With the others I can set..

Caps Lock -> Backspace
Backspace -> Forward Delete

It seems when I do that in BTT they chain, and Caps -> Backspace becomes Caps -> Backspace -> Delete.

Try this: First remap Caps Lock to (right) control in macos. Then create a BTT key sequence (right) control = backspace.

GoTo Automations & Named & Other Triggers
Create this action

Bildschirmfoto von Safari (30-11-22, 07-31-04)

Then go to Keyboard Shortcuts and link the Named Trigger to CAPS LOCK

Seemed to work fine.

@SLE nice workaround! Two completely different ways, same result. Yours has the advantage that the key repeat can be activated. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The best way to remap caps lock to backspace is this terminal command (most performant, most reliable way - it's working at the lowest level possible):

/usr/bin/hidutil property --set '{"UserKeyMapping":[{"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingSrc":0x700000039,"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingDst":0x70000002A}]}'

if you also want to remap backspace to forward delete, use this:
/usr/bin/hidutil property --set '{"UserKeyMapping":[{"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingSrc":0x700000039,"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingDst":0x70000002A}, {"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingSrc":0x70000002A,"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingDst":0x70000004C}]}'

This only is active until a system restart, thus I'd recommend to trigger it via the "After Launching BTT" trigger like this:

I think I'll provide an easy UI for these remappings soon. For a list of keycodes see Technical Note TN2450: Remapping Keys in macOS 10.12 Sierra (apple.com) (they need to be prefixed with 0x7000000 )

1 Like

Thank you! This seems like the best method for now, since it’ll allow me to press and hold caps lock (my new backspace) without constantly turning caps lock on and off and on and off as it’s held.

In an absolutely ideal world I’d have

Caps lock => backspace that can be held
Backspace => delete that can be held
Right control => hyper

One of the answers said to add a keyboard profile for right control but I can’t seem to do that at all in my BTT unless it’s right control plus another key? Can’t do just right control or right command to super, right?

Appreciate your help!!’

Well, BTT allows you to create shortcuts that just look for the right modifier keys, so you can use that to trigger whatever you want:

A BTT shortcut must be a modifier plus a letter, only the modifier does not work. But that works with a key sequence. Do you have a keyboard with a physical right control key on the right side of the spacebar?

Ah, it's all good I guess I don't really need a hyper key like I needed backspace and delete to be mapped. Would just be cool to eventually map any key to a hyper instead of just caps lock.

ohh yep, maybe I'll try to turn like a 2 tap of the right control into a hyper or something

This is working perfectly, wanted to thank you again!

Also, what I did to still get a hyper was the key sequence recording.

Started a recording, held down right command, stopped the recording and only then lifted my finger. Made that one equal to shift, command, control, and option going down. Then created another one, started the recording, pressed down on right command, hit clear recording and then lifted it so it only had my lift in there. I set that one to those 4 going up. Seems to be working great!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Andreas,

just a quick question: Is key remapping on your roadmap?

Best

//EDIT: The above suggested solution works great though! Thank you!