Prevent accidental tap-to-click while typing?

On my old MacBook with the regular-sized trackpad, I used tap-to-click and it always worked perfectly. On my new MacBook, the touchpad is way too large and I always accidentally tap-to-click while typing because parts of my wrists briefly touch that trackpad. I hate it. It makes the Mabook borderline unusable to me as-is. I hate the haptic click, too, it is way too loud and annoying, so tap-to-lick is the only option for me.

Apple seems to know that their wrist detection doesn't work 100% reliably (how could it?). For example, they hid tap-to-click somewhere within accessibility options. It took me forever to find. I guess they realized that this doesn't work well anymore with their large trackpads. Pffh.

I am now testing BetterTouchTool to try to fix this issue. I enabled the checkbox called "reenable gestures only after touching the center of the touchpad", but it doesn't seem to do anything. I still perform accidental tap-to-clicks all the time. Does this feature not work with tap-to-click?

Has anyone figured out a setting I can enable to prevent accidental tap-to-clicks while typing on modern MacBooks with the large trackpads?

sorry, unfortunately BTT can only prevent its own gestures. For system ones we need to work with Apple‘s accidental touch recognition ;-(

I'm trying to understand this. So, you are saying that BTT can do nothing to prevent accidental tap-to-clicks because these are generated at the OS level? But if this is so, how can BTT offer to ignore tap-to-click at the left and right edge (0-20 percent)?

I have also spent lots of time fiddling with the "Reenable gestures only after touching the center area of the trackpad" setting and the timing slider above it, but couldn't get it to prevent the accidental taps.

So it is beginning to dawn on me that tap-to-clicks may not be considered gestures at all? Is that so?

Related:

It would be really great if BTT could turn off the touch pad while typing...

The settings in your screenshot refer to taps configured in BTT. They also don't affect system level taps.

OK, thanks for clarifying this. So, I tried the following hack:

1. disable tap-to-click in System Settings.
  2. disable "Reenable gestures only after touching the center area of the trackpad"
  3. configure BTT to produce a left click on bottom left tap, bottom middle tap and bottom right tap.

It seems to work, except that the tap area is way to small for it to use them for tap-to-click.

Is there any way of customizing those tap-to-click areas so that BTT can take control of tap-to-click on larger parts of the trackpad?

unfortunately they are really not made for this, that would cause all sort of issue ;-(
Apple does a lot of "accidental" tap prevention already, which BTT doesn't have for these, so you would achieve the opposite of what you would like.

I see. Of course, we can't expect BTT to replicate the accidental tap prevention that Apple has developed. So, I can see how offering taps for the entire touchpad would probably generate a lot of support. But don't you think it would make sense to allow some customization of the tap areas, given that Apple has not yet managed to reliably prevent accidental taps? (It works quite well on my MacBook Pro M1 but on my Magic TrackPad 2 with my Mac mini, it's a pain.)

Or, perhaps rather than modifying the existing areas, you could offer a "centre area" for tapping. I'd make it triangular to approximately match the area that is typically no covered by the hand/fingers while typing...

@tistos Have you ever tried not putting the palms of your hands on the Mac?

If the wrists are supported, nothing touches the trackpad. It is even better if the elbows are supported. For this you need a chair with wide and adjustable armrests.

I suppose you mean my MacBook?

As I said:

The keyboard of my Mac mini is more than halfway across the table, so my entire elbow is resting on the table.