OSX Chrome v69 - s̶n̶a̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶r̶e̶a̶k̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ - EDIT: It was a browser extension

Snapping works fine with my first Chrome profile. When I open another profile, snapping doesn't work anymore. Snapping still works in other applications. Restarting Chrome fixes it (until I open the second profile again). I've only started encountering this issue yesterday when I upgraded Chrome. I believe I was on v67 previously.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
OSX 10.13.6
Chrome Version 69.0.3497.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I recorded a video.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
OSX 10.13.6
Chrome Version 69.0.3497.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)
BetterSnapTool 1.8

Seconding that Better Snap Tool doesn't work with Chrome v69, and I'm not switching profiles... it just doesn't work.

Please upvote to raise awareness.

By the way, this bug made me realize how much I rely on this tool constantly throughout the day. Went and give it 5 stars on in the app store.

unfortunately I can't seem to reproduce it here. :confused:
However, could you maybe check whether it works with BetterTouchTool? (If you own Bettersnaptool you get a free 2 year license for BetterTouchTool by clicking "get free license" after installing BTT ).

BTT already contains some improvements to the snapping code that will soon also land in Bettersnaptool.

can you maybe think of any special browser extension you have installed?

I replicate the above issues, but with the caveat of new tabs breaking "snap" functionality. Single user sign in. Same issue with incognito (where in theory no extensions are loaded)

btt: 2.631
chrome: 69.0.3497.81
macOS: 10.13.6

2 monitors fwiw

I also have two monitors, one which is ultra-wide.

unfortunately I'm still not able to reproduce this :frowning:

Do you use normal mouse based snapping? Does it immediately stop working after you launch Chrome, or can you see any specific trigger? Maybe a specific website?
Does the preview animation still show up?

@cata1yst do you have any special site set for "new tab"?
@mattdeclaire can you think of any extension or similar that is installed in your second profile but not in your first?

I think I may have identified the change in Chrome that can cause this. Would be great if you could test BetterTouchTool v2.634 alpha and see whether my workaround works (get via "check for alpha version updates").

https://bettertouchtool.net/releases/btt2.634.zip

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce it on my machine yet, so I'm not 100% sure whether that was it.

Looks to be fixed in the alpha. Thanks!

I had my new tab set to the default New Tab page.

There is now also a beta of BetterSnapTool available: https://bettertouchtool.net/releases/BetterSnapTool_1.9_b18.zip

1 Like

BST 1.9 didn't fix my issue. I dug into my extensions and found that if I turn off the Google Hangouts ext., the problem is solved...

I reported to them here. I imagine the issue is in either BST or Google Hangouts. But, the same interoperability issue could exist with other extensions.

awesome, thanks for figuring that out! I'll upload a fix on Monday!

The google hangouts issue should now be fixed in v2.636

I can confirm that the BST 1.9 beta resolved this issue that i was havong with Chrome 69 on OSX.

Also confirming latest beta fixed my Chrome 69 snap issues. Thanks!

the beta of bettersnaptool fixed snapping for osx chrome 69 for me!