open link in new tab - safari shortcut

I can't figure it out and am hoping someone can help me!

I want to make a gesture for trackpad so that if I do a two-finger tap on a link, it will open that link in a new tab in the background in Safari. Is that possible? Seems easy enough but I don't see any options to make it work via BTT!

0 Likes

Easy!
In Safari Settings, go to → Tabs and check the Box "⌘-click opens a link in a new tab".
In BTT, Set "Two finger Tab" to Action "⌘-Click" (You can limit this action to Safari).
Pay attention that your two finger tap does not interfere with your trackpad Secondary Click Settings (in System Prefs → Touchpad).

1 Like

Thanks, that was easy!

Now I want to make a gesture for a Logitech mouse so that if I do a right-click on a link, it will open that link in a new tab in the background in Safari. Is that possible? Looks like Logitech mice are severely limited with the right-click customizing....

0 Likes

This should be possible with the same action in the "Normal Mice" Tap of BTT.

I only have my Magic Mouse so I can't test it, but the procedure should be the same.

0 Likes

I've got that ready to go... only thing is that a right-click requires a modifier key.

Is there any way to bypass a modifier key? I'm hoping to just right-click and go. Not sure why it "requires" a modifier key... but hoping there is a workaround. Thanks so much for your help!

0 Likes

What is the Logitech Mouse we are talking about?

0 Likes

it is the M720... a newer model

0 Likes

A Safari update broke a Safari extension I used to use to be able to two-finger tap on links and it would act as command-click to open them in another tab in background despite fact my trackpad secondary-click settings also have two-finger taps set to right-click.

Is there any way to get BTT to emulate that? Right now BTT does allow me to two-finger tap on links and it opens tabs as desired but it also still triggers a right-click contextual menu right afterwards making it cumbersome.

I tried three-finger click but I think that interferes with my three-finger drag settings and doesn't work.

Any ideas how I can achieve this without turning off two-finger tap for a context menu or three-finger drag?

I tried four-finger tap and it works, but it's awkward and I don't always get all four fingers down and makes it hit or miss and not practical.

I found a workaround.

It now works with LinkThing on Sierra Safari. Without LinkThing, BTT opens the links in new tabs as it should, however it also triggers the contextual menu for the link which must be dismissed with another tap outside of it.

With both the BTT setting AND LinkThing, it opens the tab like it used to do without the contextual menu popping up.

LinkThing Safari Extension setting:

05%20PM

BTT Setting for Safari:

32%20PM

It appears this workaround isn't needed in macOS Mojave's Safari and will work with LinkThing without issue, but this fixes whatever Apple did to the Sierra Safari version to break it.

0 Likes