Now playing widget does not refresh & Beta preferences does not delete widgets

I've been using the Now Playing widget for a long time with spotify with no issues but I think since the last version of BetterTouchTools, It kind of act weirdly..

When spoify is running it works fine but if I quit spotify it just stays on the last played song like if it was paused. Then if I click on the widget (usually to open the app) nothing happen.

If I manually open the app, I have to click play on the app to refresh the widget to show the currently playing track and be able to play/pause the song.

I've tried (with the new beta interface) to add a second widget to see if it was the same issue and it was! I then deleted the last widget I've created and the grey box stayed there even if the widget is not in the configurations anymore.

So now I have Now Playing widget not really working and an annoying grey box doing nothing next to it!

Thanks!

0 Likes

Can't seem to reproduce this here.
What does the now playing widget in the macOS notification center show in this case?

0 Likes

The now playing in macOS is showing spotify when I manually launch it and I can play/pause it, but if spotify is closed and I hit the play button, it starts itunes which I think is normal?

0 Likes

Possibly try to restart your mac, this could mean that for some reason the operating system doesn't send the playing/paused notifications anymore.

0 Likes

I've restarted and for some reason the FIRST time I click on the icon it launch the spotify application and the play/pause works but as soon as I quit the app, the widget does not works..

But after that when I launch spotify manually, the play/pause works again with the widget. it just won't refresh if I quit the app and won't launch the app either..

0 Likes

Which version of macOS are you running?

0 Likes

10.14.4 and 2.813 (1093) for BetterTouchTools

0 Likes

Ok so i've upgraded BetterTouchTools just in case and to have latest features! It doesn't solve the issue but still!

I've done some more test and here is what I experienced.

The problem seems to be related the the "When tapped" action
By default I use it as When tapped: Launch default player (if not running)
In this setting it only works for the first macOS reboot OR if I change the "When tapped" setting to anything else, save and put it back to launch default player (if not running). In that case when I tap, it launches spotify BUT as soon as I quit it, i'm not able to launch it again...

When I use any other settings like Bring default player to front, it works like a charm! every time the app is closed, it launches it and start playing...

The only problem with this option is that when I just want to play/pause the song while i'm doing something else it brings me my spotify app which is a little bit annoying!

0 Likes

Interesting, I'll have a look!

0 Likes