now playing touchbar widget issues (spotify)

Describe the bug

1. If you set the widget to manage spotify and you have spotify turned off - clicking it will try to open iTunes instead of spotify.
  2. Closing the spotify app while BTT is running (widget enabled) will crash BTT

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Touchbar

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2017 MBP 16GB 13"
  • macOS version: 10.13.5
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.625

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have the latest version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

2.) should be fixed already :slight_smile:

For 1.: the "default player" option is only used if BTT can't determine what the currently active player is. So if BTT doesn't know it will use the default player. However if BTT knows iTunes is currently the active player it will use iTunes.

Maybe it's better to disable the "activate" option and just assign the predefined action "Launch Application", then it will always be the same one that is being launched / activated.

Oh, right! Didn't think of that. However, no the button is not visible at all if you select No default option for the player :confused:

I mean:

1. start BTT with no spotify/itunes turned on
  2. widget is not visible at all - you cant click it to perform any kind of action.

Am i missing something or is that some edge case?

Ah I forgot that play/pause will trigger iTunes by default ;-(

I'll work on this with the next update.

My browser refeshed and I have to type everything again, sigh :smiley:

Hmm, not really. :frowning: I mean that's my config - note that "activate app on tap" is disabled.

What I'd like to achieve is something like this:

1. If no player is open (spotify) -> clicking on touchbar opens the app
  2. If spotify is opened -> tapping toggles the play state

I can't do it with some action juggleling because I'd have to detect whether app is running and in either case use different actions.

If I only add Launch application(spotify) as predefined action -> i loose the play/pause capability.
If I only add Play pause action -> I cannot open the app upon
If I add both - Itunes and Spotify will open
If I add both but delay the second one - it works but... I'll have to leave with this delay even if the app is open, and it'll always show spotify on the screen....

Tbh this isn't that much of a deal to me, but I wanted to simply report an issue, because it seems like it isn't really easly possible. (perhaps some tweaking with disabling itunes completely as a player would fix it..)

Thanks for fixing 2) though - it works! :slight_smile: