No haptic feedback with tap gestures UNLESS there's another finger on the trackpad

Describe the bug
Trying to get haptic feedback for a 3-finger tap. Trying both as Advanced->Additional Haptic Feedback and as an Additional Action->Perform Haptic Feedback On Trackpad.

No haptic feedback if I just tap with three fingers. The action otherwise executes.

If I put a fourth finger down in the corner and just leave it there, a three-finger tap DOES trigger haptic feedback. (The 4th finger doesn't interfere with the 3-finger tap recognition.)

Haptic feedback actions work as expected with a three-finger click or as an action for keyboard shortcuts, etc.

It looks like the tap trigger suppresses haptic feedback if there is no finger on the trackpad, which is inconsistent with other triggers. (I really like using haptic feedback for actions that happen in the background and might not be visible.)

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
M2 MacBook Air Trackpad

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: M2 MacBook Air
  • macOS version: 13.2
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one")
    4.023 (2240)

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

I am having this exact same issue.

unfortunately that's a limitation of the macOS API used. You can however choose different haptic feedback styles in the BTT trackpad settings (or by using the haptic feedback action). The "New Style" haptic feedbacks use a different API that also works if no finger is touching the trackpad.

1 Like

I believe @blackketter and I were originally trying to use it this way:

As far as changing it in the settings, this did not seem to work:

I was however able to get success doing it this way:

One minor side effect though is that it triggers the haptic feedback on ALL trackpads. This is undesired because if I am using an external trackpad, I don't need the internal trackpad of my MacBook buzzing.

If I am missing something, or in the wrong place, please let me know.

unfortunately this can not be changed if you want it to work even while not touching the trackpad ;-( the api currently can either identify the currently touching trackpad or all trackpads

The issue I am trying to solve is getting haptic feedback when performing a tap action, not a click. So I am touching the touchpad, maybe not long enough to feel the feedback?

a tap only executes when removing the touch from the trackpad, so when the recognition happens no finger is touching anymore