Night shift flickering on and off continually - I have to toggle off in system settings to stop it

Describe the bug

Night shift keeps flickering on and off rapidly, I have to toggle it off from system settings to stop it from occurring. But m running latest Mojave version and people haven’t had this issue since high Sierra so I thought maybe it’s BTT since I just downloaded this yesterday.

Any fixes I can try? My Touch Bar has a button for night shift (via the Golden Chaos preset)

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

whole screen affected from night shift flicker

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2018 MacBook Pro 15”
  • macOS version: Latest Mojave (10.14.1)
  • BetterTouchTool version: Latest - 2.660

Edit:

I think I might have figured out a possible reason as to why this is happening:

The golden chaos preset's toggle for night shift, actually doesn't toggle the night shift button in the Notification Center, the color does shift, but the night shift in the Notification Center stays the same. Is that supposed to happen? Or should the BTT night shift toggle instantly toggle the night shift toggle in Notification Center?

I'm also experiencing this same issue.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt Ports, Touch Bar)
macOS: 10.14.2 (18C54)
btt: 2.687

I think what you describe is normal.
There is no way I know of to toggle Night Shift like the system does it, so BTT uses a slightly different way which does it faster.

However this only happens when you actively use the night shift action in BTT.

@Andreas_Hegenberg I just want to double check that what I'm seeing is expected.

I have Night Shift (from the apple setting) set to turn on and off automatically depending on the time of day and I have a keyboard shortcut in BTT to Toogle Night Shift.

• Toggling Night Shift via BTT does not switch the toggle found in the notifications pane.

• BTT and Apple's Night Shift toggle have different state trackers. I can toggle night shift off from notification panel or Touch Bar and then hit the BTT shortcut and that instantly switch it to doing a transition from Night Shift to normal (instead of from normal to Night Shift as would be expected), if the last use of the BTT toggle was to unshift.

• Night Shift applied by BTT doesn't seem to have the settings that I have set night shift to in my Apple settings. I crank the warmest settings, though BTT doesn't seem to go as 'warm' as when I toggle via the Apple provided buttons.

• I think. But not confirmed. I can un-toggle Night Shift from BTT but as the Apple one next ticks to get progressively warmer as the night goes on, it'll undo the disabling and apply the Night Shifted mode again.

Hope those make sense, I can try to clarify if not.

Thanks

Yup that's expected.
There is no official API to trigger this stuff, thus BTT uses a very small and limited, reverse engineered part of the Night Shift API.

Are there any plans to make it work with native Mac night shift toggle or is that capability just not there as it currently stands?

If you know of a way to do that I'd happily add it :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Andreas_Hegenberg. And thanks for your work on BTT.

Hopefully Apple will document a API for it at some point. Probably more likley the API will be reversed instead though :slight_smile:.

If still relevant. Maybe this will help with the definition of the Night Shift mode?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45525080/how-can-i-observe-changes-to-night-shift-on-macos-ios/45624778
I made a small application on this basis and it recognizes Night Shift.