New iMac Magic Keyboard lock key

Hey everyone. Recently got an iMac and so far, I hate the lock key on my keyboard; I keep hitting it by accident and it locks me out of my computer. I tried changing it in keyboard settings but it seems to be the only key that cannot be changed.

Apparently on the upgraded version of the iMac (I got the base version) the lock button has Touch ID and is harder to press down than other keys, so looks like apple saw this problem coming.

It would be great if we could change/disactivate the key in BTT. I've linked the keyboard below.

Cheers and thank you,

D

We could just set the lock button to command L, similar to windows. BTT can already do that but the lock button that comes with the keyboard still is active.

1 Like

Does BtT recognize that button if you try to record it in the keyboard shortcuts section?

2 Likes

no. just locks your screen.

as I said, not in any keyboard settings via apple. not on modifier keys either, nor in shortcuts.

Hey, I have the same problem with the lock key. How to innativate it?

Came to the forum for a similar request with my 2021 M1 MacBook Pro, which also has the top-right TouchID key. Can confirm in BTT, the app does not intercept the keypress, and the computer enters Lock Screen mode. Would be awesome if we could reprogram that!

Also worth noting – in one round of testing this in BTT today, as I had the record key shortcut the computer screen locked, and then any alphanumeric keyboard presses (via built-in keyboard or my external apple magic keyboard) would not work anywhere in the system and make an error sound. I'm guessing that's BTT's record key shortcut function continuing to run after screen lock, and getting stuck. I restarted BTT which fixed the issue.