New BetterTouchTool UI Progress

OK, lets see if I can explain this without writing a novel.

1. I was going to change a few Group Names - Adding Bullets to group titles.
  2. After changing a few, I decided to rename them back. Not clicking save, but just moving to the group (figure it still auto saves when doing this).
  3. The Group names in the trigger column did not change while doing this. Only after I selected them again did it update the trigger column.
  4. I checked one of the groups in the Touch Bar and it would not open.
  5. Went back to the group Name, and re-saved the same name (Copy/Paste) on top of itself, prompting me to save. Clicked save button and it worked.

Its as if moving between rows didn't actually save the Name properly, and we must click the save button, even though the group name was correct for the other button to open that group.

ah that was in the outline / table view mode, correct? I think I haven't added the auto-save feature there yet.

Not sure outline View? Icon is more List mode vs. Column view? I use List Mode.

This also happens in the list mode periodically. Separator is double height.

These should now be fixed in v2.824 :slight_smile: thanks!

Nice work. You are on top of this! Just realized Im only 15 days into my trial. Feels like I've been using this for months now. Maybe 45 days is to long... LOL Buying shorty!

Looks like you have a new column in "List View" (Empty to the right of Assigned Actions(s)). Not sure if there is something there now or in the future, figured I would let know you.

That's just a macOS bug or feature (not sure). Table views on macOS don't autmatically fill up completely, the remaining space is just empty ( you can notice this e.g. in Finder also). Happens especially after manually resizing columns.

Resizing the window to a smaller size, then making it bigger again will fill it up.

I already set the BTT table views to try as much as possible to fill the whole space, but sometimes macOS decides that it won't do it.

Seen this a few times now. Might be when I copy/paste a Touch Bar Trigger (Tough Bar button) and edit the button for another purpose.

Unable to remove the "Show only icon, no text" check. I remove the check and it reappears immediately. Forced to delete button and start fresh if I want that option unchecked.

@Andreas_Hegenberg More stuff in the list of stuff. You can move them to completed yourself as I won't know if they're not in the changelog.

@GoldenChaos! Come join me too! You can use your mod power to add to this list

This list will be re-commented every now and then.

Bugs:

• Table View: Edits don't save automatically / Cells don't update to reflect edit (was editing trigger names)
  • TouchBar: Setting the stick to left makes it stick to right. (icon issue)
  • TouchBar: Setting colours is a nightmare. Keeps resetting or bugging out to illegal colours (i think, because it's acting weird: Shows black in bar, shows 100% transparent in the well, shows a colour value in the picker)
  • :joy:
  • Common settings for applescript widgets aren't available in multi selection. May corrupt data here as it shows the normal config.
  • Setting the font color on a multi selection changes the icon size!
  • Common settings for applescript widgets aren't available in multi selection. May corrupt data here as it shows the normal config.
  • Corner Radius Picker for Apple script widget looses focus after each character.

Wishlist of small changes:

• :red_circle: In the table view, double right arrow doesn't expand the group / actions anymore
  • :red_circle: More stable ⌘Z. It fails a lot.
  • :red_circle: Make the selection palettes pop out of the add buttons instead of the config column, it results in less mouse movement
  • Space doesn't open table view groups
  • When adding a TouchBar trigger, have the 'normal touch bar button' selected as default so i can just press enter to confirm a normal trigger. Though, I actually think the seperate buttons 'add normal trigger' and 'add widget' was a bit quicker.
  • Keyboard Shortcut action should be default for a new regular button.
  • Arrow keys should always control triggers, and not anything in the config. This would be great for batch editing, e.g. I can press down, leave my mouse where it is and click. and then use tab for the config column.

• Keep refining performance
  • :ok: enter to save and refresh (improve)
  • Handling of multi-trigger edits (improve, all the boxes go blank even if values are the same)

• :dark_sunglasses: Make hidden triggers more readable
    • 70% ish opacity (refine when you test)
    • Customisable Colour for hidden triggers
    • Italic Text 100% opacity
  • :dark_sunglasses: Refine the - + buttons for activation group column (leftmost). Icons should be used (I gave u + and - icons I think) and the plus '+' should be first (+ -)
  • :dark_sunglasses: Remove the <<< button in the Activation Apps/groups column, replacing it with resizing that column. (Squish it small to icon only)
  • :dark_sunglasses: More Concise Config Column (lowprio)
  • :dark_sunglasses: Speech bubble triangle for actions a biiiit more taller as I can barley see it... Remove the cells' bottom padding to accomodate for that? (and also the top padding for triggers that aren't first on the list so that they touch if possible) (lowprio)
    17%20pm
    Adding a drop shadow and a fill to these to make them look like a card would also be cool. (ref. my mockup)

Points of Friction:

• Adding Multiple Triggers and Setting their action
  • Moving triggers out from one group to another (column view)
  • Saving edits is still too finicky to be released
  • It would also be great if the color picker would stop switching modes, if thats not a system thing...

Not Possible
  • :ok: Space to hide/show triggers (Space is kinda better than ⌘D) (Not Possible, used by default macOS to expand group in table view)
Completed

:white_check_mark: Grey text for hidden triggers
:white_check_mark: Disable icon inverting in the Activation Group column
:white_check_mark: Magic mouse uses the old icon (you have a duplicate in there, one is a tiff and the new one is a png?
:white_check_mark: You missed a way to access the docs, usage, BTT license / version and news info in the new UI. Try an β€œinfo” menubar

All these things aside, multi-editing existing triggers is a joy!

2.826 should fix various of the Touch Bar save issues (currently being notarized)

@yuukio, the multi-selection currently only shows items that I think work for all widgets or at least won't break things. This will get smarter in the future to see e.g. if only Apple Script widgets are selected.

1 Like

Just bringing it up in case you missed it :wink:

Which color picker mode do you mean?
I currently have the standard system behavior enabled on it, but maybe it can be adapted to something more useful.

When I click a colour well, the picker jumps to other modes...

I think it jumps to greyscale sliders often, or otherwise RGB sliders. It just doesn't stick to what i'm using so I need to switch it back often.

I switch palletes a lot, mainly:

• RGB
  • HSB
  • Crayons
  • System Colour list

Ahh I think it does this based on the currently selected color... (greyscale colors will probably switch to the greyscale sliders). I'll check whether this can be disabled.

1 Like

Corner Radius Picker for Apple script widget looses focus after each character. Adding to list above!

v2.826

• Unable to add buttons with ⌘1 for Touch Bar presets, ⌘2 for the Magic Mouse, etc.
  • Hiding the icons left from BTT in the menu bar does currently work only sporadically

Mh there hasn't been a change to the hiding icons. How are you triggering it?

What do you mean by ⌘1 and ⌘2?

Menu bar icon works now fine again, I have no clue why. Any system report or something I could post in case I see the bug again? :man_shrugging:t2:

Sorry, I was wrong actually - I am unable to add any actions that simulate the keystroke ⌘1 to 9, basically any of the shortcuts used by BTT to change the entry device. You see it in the attached video. I still see the group/preset I was working in before, but it displays the first entry if my Magic Mouse settings ("Mission control etc") and the Magic Mouse in the top left corner. Same afterwards, I try to trigger ⌘1 and see my first Touchbar button (Enpass).

1 Like

Ah interesting, will fix that in a minute!

1 Like