New BetterTouchTool UI Progress

I was using an old version. Sorry for the noise

I noticed that all my shell script tasks that are set as /usr/bin/python are set to /bin/bash.

Looking and acting pretty good so far. It would be nice if there was a quick way to enable/disable buttons. Like pressing space in the old UI.
Found a minor typo in the the menu - Cose instead of Close:

@yuuiko v2.800 (first public preview) adds an option to disable auto-inverting of CAG icons in the app list.

It also adds a few more menu items:

• Toggle disabled state of selected triggers (default is cmd+d, but you can change any main menu shortcut in System Preferences => Keyboard => Shortcuts, as BTT is now using the default macOS APIs)
  • The help menu gives access to documentation and some other items. News has been removed intentionally, but I'll probably add back a general link to my website to the help menu. The license information etc. is still available via the about screen.

Next steps (next two weeks):

• Focus on performance improvements
  • Add UI customization settings
  • Fix bugs that will be reported
  • Enable MIDI support

Afterwards BTT 3.00 will be released which will make the new UI default on macOS Mojave.

How do we activate the new UI in 2.800?

It's currently only available via the menubar menu, and only on macOS Mojave.

Aha! I had entertained that thought since I don't have the menu bar activated but thought it woukd have to be in settings. Guess I was wrong! Thnx

Missing Configurations:

• Keyboard shortcut
  • Switch to preset / Enable specific Presets (Not Inline)
  • Toggle Enabled / Disable preset (Not Inline)
  • Trigger Snap Area (Not Inline, Config window button not working)
  • Move Mouse to Position (Not Inline)
  • Trigger MenuBar Menu-Item
  • Capture Screenshot (Configurable) (Not Inline)
  • Custom Move / Resize Window (Not Inline)
  • Show Floating WebView / HTML Menu (Not inline, Config window button not working)
  • Show/Hide Hidden Files in Finder should be in a Finder group?
  • So should be Create New File in Current Folder

Suggestions:

What do you mean by those two:

• Missing Configuration Keyboard Shortcut
• Show Floating WebView - config window button not working

Doesn't it show the web view configuration for you?

Most of the remaining not-inlined versions will at some point be moved fully to the side-bar.

Finder group is probably a good idea :slight_smile:

Hey, it'd be helpful, if BTT tells me that I have to use decimal point instead of comma. It'd be even better to change it to comma, when using German as language.

The standard UI elements in BTT should already use the system settings for decimal points. (System Preferences => Language & Region => Advanced)

Great!

The Floating Webview seems to be working now. Maybe it was a bug...

The Keyboard shortcut isn't modifiable in the config panel, I'd need to re-assign the shortcut to do that. It would be better if it worked like the other actions.

Here's a concept that I think is a lot less wordy but still understandable:

mmmmh... :thinking: when using comma, BTT doesn't recognize it...weird

Quick Device Icons Fix

New BTT Device Icons Fix.zip (24.4 KB)

@Andreas_Hegenberg
Mainly refined the Touch Bar one for readability. Don't forget to fix the Magic Mouse icon! You have an old magicmouse_pop.png which is overriding the new magicmouse_pop.tiff.

Drawings Icon is a hard one to get right on both dark and light modes :confused: I can't find something that works!

Awesome, added them in v2.801 alongside many other little fixes and visual improvements that have been reported during the last days. More to come :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some New Icons for the Preferences

@Andreas_Hegenberg

New BTT Preferences Images.zip (151.8 KB)

Thank you!

However I think I'll keep the old "general window snapping" icon, it's also used in BetterSnapTool so switching users will feel "at home" and I personally still kind of like it:

I like your other snapping icons, but I think they would look a bit better without the black bar on top.

2 Likes

Glad you liked them!

The window snapping icon in the Basic Settings panel wasn’t meant to change. It was only the diagram on the window snap toggle page that was meant to change, so maybe could you make them seperate images? (essentially don’t use the BetterSnapTool icon as a diagram)

Which icons had the black bar? and what is the black bar?

I can try remove them if you want.

• File Names?
  • point out the black bar to remove
  • on both dark and light variations or just one of those?

I mean the black bar representing the menubar, I don't think it's necessary :slight_smile: (not all screens on macOS necessarily have a menubar either).
I think I would just use these three for now:

No need to provide updated icons, I'll use the existing ones and see how they look without the black bar.

Update v2.802:

• significantly improved scrolling performance as I moved image drawing to the GPU.
  • fixed some display bugs.
  • adds compatibility with macOS 10.13
  • disabled items get added transparency
1 Like

@Andreas_Hegenberg

Having some issues with distorted icons in 2.803:

Icon Samples:

Text-Bold Text-Italic Text-StrikeThrough Text-Underline

Ah thanks, that should be resolved in v2.804 (online in a few minutes)