New BetterTouchTool UI Progress

Unfortunately for CAGs my workaround won't work. However I have reported the bug that leads to this to Apple. At least editing CAGs is not done as often as editing triggers :slight_smile:

Currently I can't move the "used icons" to the left, however I plan to create custom menu cells eventually.

For the "Copy Action ID" do you really need the action ID? Are you triggering actions directly using Apple Script?

Great!

Yes in some cases I do, e.g. checking something before doing the action

extra request (are these tiring? lol sorry):
would also be good if the hex color appeared on recent colors on mouse over. Don’t know if non-technical users will find this confusing or not so make it an option..

Is there a page of release notes for these updates?

Just had an issue yesterday. Partially "my fault". I copied a Group, and pasted it to the BTT remote section on accident (nothing showed up). After that process my BTT Touch Bar groups were a mess. Multiple restarts didn't help restore them. Many groups were just listing all blank buttons/actions. Had to restore from earlier preset backup I saved.

Can i see the BTT data in iCloud or does it only sync in the background? I turned the function on, but til now there no data on iCloud.

iCloud stores such app specific sync stuff in an invisible container ( I need to look up how to access that)

//edit: it can not be accessed via Finder, but terminal will show the data when going to this folder:
~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~hegenberg~BetterTouchTool/com.mentalfaculty.ensembles.clouddata

1 Like

Gesture Stickers Complete!

BTT Gesture Stickers v1.zip (648.1 KB)

Included:

• Bodymovin JSON Exports
  • The AfterEffects File that these were all made in
  • Device images with their white background removed, shadows preserved. Both White and Space Grey versions.

Things to make sure:

• Always scale them all the same amount if they're too big. Make sure they are sized consistently.
  • Time them well
  • If cropping the device images, make sure not to crop the shadow
  • If using multiple slide stickers, offset their position to better represent the hand and fingers. Never put them in a grid pattern. (e.g. the 3F drag shown in video, or e.g. for 4F drag up, you’d follow the heights of the fingers.) If its placed in a grid, it’ll look uncomfortable to trigger.
  • Don’t overlap anything
  • Make sure the tracks / circles stay visible, don’t fade them out once the animation finishes. The tracks / circles are meant to remain while the touch guide loops inside it.

@Andreas_Hegenberg, Have fun implementing the new gesture display!
Hope you like these, put a lot of work, time and attention to detail into them!

1 Like

Looking great! (This will still be a lot of work to integrate nicely, so I think it's realistic to expect it in 2-3 weeks :-))

1 Like

Would love the ability to increase or decrease the Icon Padding between Icon and text on buttons. I try to use the "Extra Space (Inside)" setting, but that doesn't offer the flexibility required for most situations and what im trying to design.

For now I insert a bunch of spaces...

So I can add spaces to decrease the space between icon and Text Label? yeah... that's what I thought... LOL.

Oh, ahaa I forgot about decreasing

@Andreas_Hegenberg, Curious; whats your main focus right now?

Yup, I only said increasing because that's what padding does. Not sure what the default padding is, or is is just the image file causing the padding. Ill have to try a few images to see.

1 Like

Please create a separate feature request post for the padding thing as this is not related to the UI :slight_smile:

Preparing everything for the 3.00 release on (definitely) Monday. (Website, documentation and an introduction video). Afterwards probably a week of bugfixes and then I will be working on new features for BTT :slight_smile: and continue improving the new UI on the side. No particular focus but I have tons of todos on my list.

Btw. 2.866 adds a way to change the base font size of the new UI (mostly for accessibility reasons, but I could imagine some of you may want to reduce the base font by 1 or 2 points). I'm still working at making it scale nicely in column view.

So I increased to 3 (Base font), restarted and it reverts back to blank.

If you say its only 1, 2 or -1, -2, use a drop list with only those options. Blank fields are asking for support questions. Also Base Font size? Change to BTT User Interface Font Size. NOTE: Does NOT affect Touch Bar font sizes.

Currently you may need to hit enter to save. It's in the advanced user interface section, so that should be clear I think :slight_smile:

I'll be adding more options there that affect the user interface, so this will become even more clear.

//the font-resizing in the UI should now work pretty well in v2.869 (but really mostly for accessibility, the default should work fine for most)

The Region Settings dropdown menu doesn't have any logical order. Is it possible to make it alphabetical so that it is easier to find what you are looking for?

True, I'll check why it's not sorted. However, like in all dropdowns on macOS, you can just start typing the region name and it will automatically jump to it!

Really loving the new interface, fantastic work Andreas.
Couple bugs I've noticed:

• The menu bar doesn't always show up, and sometimes it freezes up. If it doesn't show up when opening BTT, then ⌘+Tabbing out of it and back to it brings it up.
  • Adding anything to the Notes text box when a Trigger is in focus and then clearing the Notes box leaves "Notes: " showing up in the Config column in List View for that trigger.

Speaking of which, what is the Config column for?

Thanks for reporting! The notes issue should be fixed in v3.02. The config column shows some of the more important configurations of triggers - currently mostly assigned modifier keys and notes.

The menubar issue may have also improved but I'm still working on that.

Quick update after the first day of BTT 3.00 being available:
about 10% of the users have already updated (rollouts always take a while, so it should be at 50% by the end of the week), the feedback on Twitter and co has been amazing and the first reviews are great. A few bugs have been reported, but nothing big so far.

Thanks a lot to everybody who helped with this.
Also see https://folivora.ai/blog/post/13009

Now I'll start to work on my TODO list that has accumulated quite a few medium to low priority issues over the last few months :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, "Save icons for selected trigger to file" is buggy for Apple Script Widgets with two icons (normal and alternate) - it saves the "normal" icon, but twice…

1 Like