New BetterTouchTool UI Progress

Unfortunately space is already used by the standard outline view on macOS to expand groups (I could disable this and use double arrow, but I like switching between columns using the arrow keys :-))

You can however just redefine the shortcut in system preferences if you'd prefer space to enable/disable.

I think that collapse issue is fixed in v2.804 (sorry, not online yet, the notarization is a bit slow currently)

1 Like

Seems like notarization got stuck on 2.804. It worked with 2.805 which is now online and includes some dark mode and undo/redo fixes. (Undo redo is a bit hard, but it should work better than before)

Hey, is it possible to add a field "Show all" in the drop down menu? It'd be much easier to edit entries, especially when you only have a couple of triggers.

Showing would in theory be possible, editing no (for technical reasons, adding that complexity is not something I want to do for now :-)).

I always liked the separation of stuff (even in the old UI), so I t hink this probably will not be added.

@Andreas_Hegenberg Quick Bugs:

• TouchBar: Setting the stick to left makes it stick to right.
  • TouchBar: Setting colours is a nightmare. Keeps resetting or bugging out to illegal colours (i think, because it's acting weird: Shows black in bar, shows 100% transparent in the well, shows a colour value in the picker)

I did these in a multi-selection edit. Then tried single selection edit but still didn't work.
Needed to use old UI to get these done.

I requested something similar here:

Hoping to at least get indicators to show which ones current have actions.

Yep indicators may be a good idea!

2 Likes

Am I missing something? Is the "Activate alternate color and icon if result matches regex:" Missing from the New UI?

Repeat assigned action, unable to enter number without the value rounding to seconds. tried to enter 0.2, displays 2 secs.

1 Like

@K2DesignLab
It's at the bottom of the script editor!

Idea: Put them in the same place as the ticks would appear!

Thanks! SO much scrolling when working on a MacBook Pro 13, and the name changed. I like the placement.

1 Like

@K2DesignLab
If you haven't already, try changing the display scaling to more space! With this, 13" is pretty perfect for me.

I also hide the dock too!

Id rather be able to read the text. Unfortunately, my eyes need help at that resolution.

1 Like

@Andreas_Hegenberg More stuff in the list of stuff.

@GoldenChaos! Come join me too! You can use your mod power to add to this list

This list will be re-commented every now and then.

Bugs:

• Table View: Edits don't save automatically / Cells don't update to reflect edit (was editing trigger names)
  • TouchBar: Setting the stick to left makes it stick to right.
  • TouchBar: Setting colours is a nightmare. Keeps resetting or bugging out to illegal colours (i think, because it's acting weird: Shows black in bar, shows 100% transparent in the well, shows a colour value in the picker)
  • :joy:

Wishlist of small changes:

• :red_circle: In the table view, double right arrow doesn't expand the group / actions anymore
  • :red_circle: More stable ⌘Z. It fails a lot.
  • :red_circle: Make the selection palettes pop out of the add buttons instead of the config column, it results in less mouse movement
  • Space doesn't open table view groups
  • When adding a TouchBar trigger, have the 'normal touch bar button' selected as default so i can just press enter to confirm a normal trigger. Though, I actually think the seperate buttons 'add normal trigger' and 'add widget' was a bit quicker.
  • Keyboard Shortcut action should be default for a new regular button.

• Keep refining performance
  • :ok: enter to save and refresh (improve)
  • Handling of multi-trigger edits (improve, all the boxes go blank even if values are the same)

• :dark_sunglasses: Refine the - + buttons for activation groups. Should be Icons and the plus '+' should be first
  • :dark_sunglasses: Remove the <<< button in the Activation Apps/groups column, replacing it with resizing that column. (Squish it small to icon only)
  • :dark_sunglasses: More Concise Config Column (lowprio)
  • :dark_sunglasses: Speech bubble triangle for actions a biiiit more taller as I can barley see it... Remove the cells' bottom padding to accomodate for that? (and also the top padding for triggers that aren't first on the list so that they touch if possible) (lowprio)
    17%20pm

Points of Friction:

• Adding Multiple Triggers and Setting their action
  • Moving triggers out from one group to another (column view)
  • Saving edits is still too finicky to be released

Not Possible
  • :ok: Space to hide/show triggers (Space is kinda better than ⌘D) (Not Possible, used by default macOS to expand group in table view)
Completed

:white_check_mark: Grey text for hidden triggers
:white_check_mark: Disable icon inverting in the Activation Group column
:white_check_mark: Magic mouse uses the old icon (you have a duplicate in there, one is a tiff and the new one is a png?
:white_check_mark: You missed a way to access the docs, usage, BTT license / version and news info in the new UI. Try an “info” menubar

All these things aside, editing existing triggers is a joy!

great job! on first sight I would only ask to double check the contrasts. Especially on the icons for modifier keys. They are hardly readable. Why not just stick with the black on white theme of the old design? This is just how it is done on macOS and material design, too.

other than that, thanks for the great work over the years. Really really couldn't live without this tool ; ]

2 Likes

@tschoepler
Sorry for that, I was going for the apple look while designing them.

Will fix when I have time!

I quite like the blue/white combination though. I agree that it's not absolutely perfectly readable, but it's "just" the modifiers, so not crucial and I think it's already good enough. Maybe I can render them just a tiny bit darker or something like this.

Maybe a bit darker would be good, needs some experimenting though. The text does have a dark outline around it too, maybe we could make that thicker or something.

Anyway, I don't have much time right now so it might be a while until I can take a look into this.

1 Like

Speaking of contrasts, here are a few suggestions that I think would make the new UI less squinty:

• Use something around 70% opacity for disabled triggers, currently its a bit too dim
  • Hard to make out the border of Action Cells, maybe give them a color fill of a slightly differing tint that is the same hue as the background (or maybe white. Experiment)
  • Don't use the user color for column borders... ? Also add one to the leftmost column
  • Icon inverting for trigger icons in the trigger column (dark mode)
  • Preset Color tags need a slight dark outline (e.g. 2px 30% opacitiy black) (white outline for dark mode)

The reset seems pretty good so far :wink:

Reminders:

• New settings images
  • Take a look at the list if you haven't already!
  • Action config inside their cells as opposed to changing the right column if you're in the mood. (less clicking and adjusting to column change)

Keep up the good work!