New BetterTouchTool UI Progress

@Andreas_Hegenberg The most recent update (2.739) is consistently crashing (the entire application) every time I try to open the new preferences

ah could you send me the crashlog? (available in the macOS console.app under user reports).
Then I'll be able to fix it later today!

Here you go:
BetterTouchTool_2019-03-26-112540_Carters-MacBook-Pro.crash (84.1 KB)

Same crash here. Looks like some more significant progress, though! This is really going to speed up GC-BTT development :heart_eyes: which is good because I've been in a bit of a funk since tax season and need to get back in a groove.

BetterTouchTool_2019-03-26-153821_Lancer.crash (90.6 KB)

Ah thanks for the crashlogs! Seems to have crashed if a preset didn't have a color set explicitly. Quick workaround added to 2.740 - will think about whether to automatically assign random colors to all presets in the future.

2.740 is currently building and will be online in a few minutes.

3 Likes

v2.740 Feedback

Fixed 2.747
Fixed 2.754

Bugs

• The Preset indicators don't appear in the table view

Visual Hitches

Show

Recommendation Time!

Added 2.754

-Preset Indicators-
This update has been great! everything seems that little bit less confusing and neatened up.

The new preset indicators turned out well, but it would be great if they would always show them even if the trigger is not selected.

It's also hard to mouseover that little strip, so maybe make it's hitbox a bit wider to the right.

Apart from better icons, and the bugfixes above, the rest of the trigger section seems pretty good for me.

-Configuration Column-
I think the words here need to be minimised. I think something like this is enough to convey that it's the configuration of the selected trigger.
13%20am
I guess you could make that "TouchBar Button" instead but yeah.

For actions, you'd have the icon, the action name as the bold title and then maybe "Change ▼" for the dropdown

Work on making it a bit more concise... Here's my try though it's a little rough

Show Images

I also recommend reordering this:
- Title
- Enabled

- Background
- Icon
- New "Spacing", contains Size and Stick to
- Corners

- New "Visibility", contains Modifiers, Show options, Display Order
- HUD

- Repeat
- Long Press

1 Like

How about this: I will accept the iOS-style sliding panels if you add two-finger swipe to go back :smile:

2 Likes

@Andreas_Hegenberg, New modifier icons for you!

Icons have been implemented

*that is an actual screenshot of the working app

They're based on your original images so you can pretty much chuck them straight in!
New BTT Modifier Icons.zip (119.5 KB)

1 Like

I never thought User Involvement would go that far when I did my PhD on it :grinning:
Cheers Andi! Let me know when you're up for a coffee...

2 Likes

awesome thank you!!

This will definitely be added :slight_smile:

1 Like

We should have started a platform building on your PhD thesis back then! :cry:
Definitely let's grab a coffee! I'll send you a mail :wink:

@Andreas_Hegenberg, New Toolbar Icons for you!

Icons Recieved and are being implemented.

I based them off your search icon, but I couldn't find where the files for the rest of the icons in the toolbar were, so you might need to do some coding there. The search icon is looking great though!

New BTT Toolbar Icons.zip (668.8 KB)

I will try them :slight_smile:!
Did you create them by yourself? (Need to make sure I don't include third party licensed icons)

Yes, everything I post is made by myself unless I except :wink:

I'll admit they are based on the native touchbar icons, but I did create them :smile:

Small extra - I rendered a new dropicon.tiff from the macOS resources. Not sure but it looks more native.

17%20pm 25%20pm

dropicon@2x.tiff.zip (8.5 KB)

1 Like

Cool!
Added the icons in 2.742 (currently as template image so macOS get's to decide which color and effects they are displayed with)

2.742 also adds View => Show Preset Color Indicator For All Triggers. (Need to add that for the list view soon). This should also fix an issue that caused the menubar to be unresponsive in some cases. Darkmode should also behave better.

Should be online in a few minutes.

1 Like

Looking better!

v2.742 Feedback

Fixed 2.754
  • The new icons seem good, but still look a bit off. Maybe make the toolbar area white instead of the light grey, and add more spacing between the buttons. (and make the icons a bit smaller maybe?)

• To keep things neat, maybe move the labels into tooltips that pops out

• Visual bug with toolbar when a group is open and searching:

• Issue with the preset labels: it can get cut off:
    44%20pm 41%20pm

• Use the + and - icons for the activation group column instead of text, also it should should be + - not - +

• Accent line to left of actions should be a tint of orange. (it'll clean up the look)
    46%20pm

• Actions shouldn't grey out if clicking out to another column. Maybe pick a warmer color? the grey doesn't match with the background...
    57%20pm

• It's hard to see which triggers are hidden or not. So maybe try grey text for hidden triggers?

• Pressing Space doesn’t work to show/hide

• Be sure to remodel the add trigger / add action buttons with the image pack below!

New Icon Pack

I see you've made a new Touch Bar alignment icon, but it's a bit hard to see. I've revised it here in todays icon pack, which also includes new add icons.

You should be able to throw in the touchbar alignment icons, but the add buttons might need some configuration.

P.S. Did you know that having "@2x" at the end of a retina image will automatically render it for retina?

New BTT Icon Pack 1.zip (66.8 KB)

@Andreas_Hegenberg
Oops! forgot the dark mode equivalents!

New BTT Iconn Pack 1-1.zip (101.6 KB)

V2.746

• Migrated most of the various settings from previous UI to new unified settings window (currently it's very basic and basically looks like the old one but in the future this will allow things like searching for settings)
  • Some convenience double-click shortcuts (double-clicking a trigger or action in the list)
  • Many bugfixes

Currently building, will be online in a few minutes.

2 Likes

@Andreas_Hegenberg
Two bugs I discovered in the new UI (I'm not sure if you prefer them being posted here or in the bug report section?)