My minimalistic Touch Bar (tips are welcome!)

Hi guys,

I only download BTT a week ago, but I am hooked.

Here are some screenshots from the first set up I made! I copied some widgets from AquaTouch and Golden Chaos's setup.

• As clean as I could make it, only showing the things I really need, which are my music including connecting my Airipods and muting, my upcoming agenda item and the date and time.

I'm using two and three finger gestures for fn + tapping the corners of my trackpad volume and brightness, so no need for that on my touchbar. My friend made an Airpods Pro icon.

• Clicking the + at the left opens my "button folder" with stuff I use a lot: wifi, bluetooth, airdrop, a quick way to paste without style and the colorfinder.

• Clicking the divider at the right toggles my full agenda.

Oh and I wanted something to toggle BTT, for when I needed the normal standard Touchbar, but I didn't like the idea for an extra button for that. So clicking the time widget toggles BTT.

Let me know what you think! And please give me tips on things you think I can improve! :relieved:

Not much to improve! Looks really clean and nice!

Tip concerning toggling BTT: I moved it away from the Touch Bar and use a Trackpad gesture instead. Because once I finished using the standard Touch Bar I wanted to be able to restore BTT easily. In my preset a 2 Finger force touch click de/activates my BTT Touch Bar :wink:

Also, it might be worth considering a key that shows the standard bar as long as it's pressed. You find this option in the settings, it's super useful to grab a text replacement or Emoji from the bar. Basically every action that requires only one tap :wink:

Enjoy your great preset! Have a great weekend too :wink:

Thanks for the tips!

For now I just had the BTT button in my standard bar to reopen it, but a 2 Finger force touch to toggle the bar is a really good idea!

You also just solved the thing I ran into an hour ago, because I was missing the text replacement option in my touch bar.

Thank you so much! Have a great weekend.

1 Like

Glad I could help :wink: Enjoy your productivity :smiley:

1 Like

any download to try your preset out?

Minimalistic_Touch_Bar_by_heuv.ink.bttpreset (576.2 KB)

This should work. It also includes some Trackpad stuff.

Let me know what you think!

Made some updates btw. Used the esc button from another post on the forum, but I can't find that thread.

I using BTT now for 2 day's. I have downloaded your script and it makes more clear how it works for me.

I have 2 questions.

1. how do i save the script? it seems all is gone once i stop BTT.
  2. Can i modify the existing touch bar? I want to set the volume and brightness slider static.
  1. Which Script? :thinking: The Touch Bar itself is sometimes a bit picky after a reboot/waking from sleep, sometimes it needs to be deactivated and reactivated (or BTT restarted).
  2. The existing Touch Bar meaning the macOS standard Touch Bar? Unfortunately not! Apple does not allow any App to interfere with the Touch Bar, it can only replace what's displayed. The slides are universal though, so a one/two/three Finger Slide will work with the native macOS Touch Bar too!
    If you want to modify the preset it's super easy, just add new widgets or buttons as you like :slightly_smiling_face: For your volume slider f.eg. you would want to create a new Volume Slider Widget (can be found inside the Touch Bar Widgets)!

It seems that BTT must be running for using your touch bar settings?

Of course, in the background. The App must be active to tell macOS what to do :wink:
You can hide it from the application switcher, the Dock and the Menu Bar though if you want to. On a personal note, that's what I did. I created a Trackpad action to restart BTT, one to open BTT Settings, one to hide the Menu Bar item (and all the icons on its left) and one to toggle the native macOS Touch Bar on/off. So I can easily access the BTT settings w/o seeing the icon everywhere every time.

I thought it was programmed and saved in my mac somewhere :rofl:

1 Like

Well, it kinda is - as long as it stays on :wink:

thanks