Many macros/functions require a restart before working, then stop working after a while

BTT is the absolute best thing on my mac!

However, I've been having this issue for many months - I've set up a floating menu in Finder triggered by some keys which brings up Trigger Snap Areas so I can quickly send a Finder window to an area of my screen. But it only appears and works sometimes. It's been a puzzle.

I'd kind of gotten used to it, but then I was needing to make repetitive reformatting to 200+ pages in an Affinity Publisher document, so i set up a macro to automate the task. The macro would work between one and maybe 7 times and then stop, and the mac would make the "blomp" sound indicating a command was not being sent. The work around I eventually found was to restart BTT, and then I could get some more pages reformatted before it would stop, and I would restart BTT again.

In an "aha!" moment, I explored whether the restart trick would apply to my problem with the Trigger Snap Areas macro, and, it's true - A restart of BTT gets that to work every time.

I'd love to make a macro to restart BTT but, of course, once BTT has 'frozen', it won't accept any more commands.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks,

Gunnar

Device information:

  • Type of Mac: Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB
  • macOS version: Tahoe 26.2.2
  • BetterTouchTool version: 6.802

You should never need to restart BTT, this sounds like your macro might be getting into some weird state - possibly not sending down/up keys as expected by the app? Restarting BTT might reset the state temporarily but it would probably be better to get the macro working. Maybe you can post it, then I can have a look.

GM 2016.bttpreset (379.2 KB)

Floating Menus.bttpreset (2.7 MB)

Hi Andreas,

Not sure how to post export it to post - judging from the file size, the GM 2016 is supposed to contain all my settings but I bet it doesn't :slight_smile: It looks like I've been a fan since at least 2016 (!).

At any rate, I hope the Floating Menus one will illustrate what I'm running into.

Thanks!

Gunnar Madsen