Magic Trackpad Causes System Freezes

Describe the bug
Turning on my Magic Trackpad and activating it (by a simple press) causes freezes. I am very confident BTT is causing the freezes as killing BTT and repeating the flow completely negates the problem.

The freezes are random (I can't always re-recreate it with every M. Trackpad activation) but it is always starts the moment I turn on and activate my Magic Trackpad.

In the middle of the intermittent freezes I have to kill BTT otherwise the freezes will continue on and off.

Some extra notes for diagnostic purposes:

• The freezes only occurred after I updated to the latest version of BTT, I believe the previous version was 2.4xx. No other software changes have been made.
  • Even if the Magic Trackpad is turned off after the freezes have started, the freezes will still continue.
  • It is not just a screen-freeze but a system freeze. Using my Magic Keyboard, I can't play music in the frozen state using the 'play' button, only in-between the freezes.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

• Macbook Pro 15" 2017 using an external monitor via HDMI cable (MBP is in closed-display mode)
  • Magic Trackpad

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 15" 2017
  • macOS version: 10.13.5 (17F77)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.530 (865)

Me too. I guess previous version was OK.

My MacPro15 (2017) freezed 2 times today.
In my case, I could move mouse pointer for a while, so I succeed to kill BTT, then freezing problem was solved.

(My case, repeat freezing about 2~30sec, melt 5sec ... But freezing time get longer repeating freezing, melting)

Are you using a Magic Trackpad too? @mswokk

Nope I just use mac pro and external usb keyboard

Maybe related to this? macOS 10.13.4 Freezing with BetterTouchTool Usage

In the case of the linked issue, there are system/input freezes for 15+ seconds at a time whenever an app switch occurs (eg clicking on the window of another app, or cmd-tab to another app, etc.) Closing BTT resolves the issue for a while.

All of us reporting in the linked thread are using Magic Trackpads and/or other USB input devices.

1 Like

Let's use the other thread. It's most likely the same issue.