[macOS 14 — Sonoma Beta] Latest BTT alpha builds extremely laggy

Note:

Exhibited in the latest Alpha builds (4.181 → 4.183).

Build 4.180-2398 does not exhibit the issue.

I have the higher process tool installed & activated.

Describe the bug

All keyboard shortcuts defined in BTT are really slow to respond. Almost like its locking up everytime it is activated.

I will be in Safari and hit my "Next Tab" shortcut and the macOS beach ball will appear on my screen.

I have a global keyboard shortcut to open the BTT window fn + ⌥ + b, when I activate that it takes several seconds for the BTT window to appear.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

MacBook Pro Keyboard

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 16" MacBook Pro M2

• macOS version: Current macOS 14 Sonoma Beta

• BetterTouchTool version: 4.181 → 4.183 all exhibit the issue. 4.180-2398 works without any issue.

Love BTT btw. Most essential program on my mac :heart:

I don't think there have been any relevant changes in the newer versions - however as your BTT database is specific to a version, maybe you have defined some problematic triggers in the newer ones, which you don't have in the older one?

Ah I don't.. I can quit BTT and replace my current version with one of the 4.181+ versions and the problem happens immediately after I launch the app.
If I swap my version of BTT back to 4.180, the problem goes away.

I do have iCloud syncing enabled (with a manual backup of course). Not sure what changed in 4.180 → 4.181, but if it wasn't specific to application monitoring, maybe there is something getting hung up in the BTT process on launch?

I could try clearing the BTT application cache or something before launching the new version and seeing if that helps too?

definitely disable the experimental cloud syncing. It's buggy and sometimes caused lagginess on previous macOS versions. On Sonoma it's probably even more problematic.

I have planned to replace this with something better soon.

If you replace the BetterTouchTool app with a previous version, it will by default load your old database. That's why it can well be a database / trigger issue