Mac OS TouchBar disappears and is unusable

Description
When I tap the 〈 icon in the touch bar, the Mac OS default touch Bar animates in, but immediately disappears. I cannot use the volume, playback control, or keyboard backlight buttons any more.

Affected device: MacBook Pro Touch Bar

Screenshots

↑ BetterTouchTool Touch Bar settings

↑ I made this GIF by repeatedly taking screenshots of the Touch Bar mid-animation. It reflects accurately what I’m seeing (I added the green outline to highlight the button I’m tapping). To get back from an empty (black) TouchBar to one that shows the right-hand side menu (with Siri and the BTT icon), I have to switch the active application (cmd-Tab).

Device information
MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018
Mac OS 10.15.4 (Catalina)
BetterTouchTool 3.364

Additional information
The issue persists regardless of whether BTT is running, whether the TouchBar support in BTT is enabled or disabled, I tried various combinations of the BTT TouchBar settings, rebooting my machine, and restarting TouchBarServer, TouchBarAgent, and ControlStrip processes.

this is not related to BTT, sounds like a macOS bug. BTT only takes effect if it’s running.

Hey there! I‘m having the exact same issue with my MBP 13" from 2018. Have you found a way to fix the problem yet? Best regards!