Left-click on dock registers as left-click and hold

Describe the bug
When the foreground process or the computer is hanging for a bit during resource-intensive tasks (such as compiling or opening a big app), a "left-click" an icon on the Dock will register as a "left-click & hold" which causes the menu for that icon to pop-up instead of switching to that icon's app.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Magic Mouse
I bet it happens with the trackpad too, but I have no trackpad to test it right now.

Screenshots
No screenshot needed

Device information:

• Type of Mac: iMac 5K
  • macOS version: 10.14.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.660

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
I've had this issue for years on different Macs and macOS versions, but I never made the connection that it was a BetterTouchTool bug…

Unfortunately this might not be solvable because the macOS event services can "lock up" in such situations, without ability to really influence the behavior because it happens on a lower level than BTT.

I posted something that sounds similar that I called "sticky" clicks. It's really evident in Excel and Tableau. In both apps the way you rearrange tabs is by click-holding and then dragging the tab in the new location. I'm constantly having this action invoked when all I intended was to click to select the tab. It drives me crazy accidentally dragging stuff around, and it goes away if I disable BTT.

1 Like

I am having the same issue with the sticky clicks, especially in Excel. Did you ever figure out a setting that fixes that? It's driving me crazy as I work in Excel often in spreadsheets with many tabs. Any insight would be appreciated.

I am having the same issue with a new MacBook Pro 16. It is most noticeable in Excel when switching between tabs. I click on a tab and instead of activating the tab, it click-drags the tab as if I wanted to move the tab location. The behavior stops when I disable BTT.

I don't think its a resource intensive issue because it happens when running only excel and very few other processes working.

Has anyone else reported this issue? I really like BTT, but I'm really getting tired of having to move tabs back when they are being dragged around on accident.

Try to disable window snapping for excel. Some apps might not respond fast enough to the snapping related commands.

Example for Finder:

I disabled window snapping in Excel and it is much much better. I'll run it through it's paces and give you a final report, but for now it seems to have solved the problem. Thank you so much.