Latest Chrome stable doesn't work with Better Snap Tool

Brave is based on the Chromium source, like Google Chrome. :-/ So it seems like something specific to chromium browsers. Probably edge would be affected as well.

I believe it’s some system setting or app that interferes, but so far I don’t have any clue what it could be :frowning:

Yep, seems Chromium isn't working. I tried a Chrome build from 2 months ago when everything worked and it has the same issues. I wonder if there's some Chromium file that's deep inside macOS that needs to be deleted

I don’t think so, such files would be separate for Brave/ Chrome, even if they are based on the same code.

Ok. I fixed it by closing a bunch of tasks and restarting BST. Now to find out which of these f***ers causes it

oh that’s great, if you can figure out what it is, I might be able to workaround it!

FOUND IT

It's Grammarly desktop. Started using the desktop version recently. This is a critical app. Hopefully, you can work around it

1 Like

If Chrome is open and I open Grammarly, it starts doing that weird thing.

If I close Grammarly and restart Chrome, everything is fine.

1 Like

great, I’ll check what grammarly is doing!

You can block apps from Grammarly, but I'm not sure how to add Chrome to that blocklist yet

Might not fix the problem regardless

could you try to run this command (while BTT is quit) and see whether it helps?

defaults write com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool BSTEnableEnhancementCheck YES

// ah no, it probably won't help, I think this is set to yes by default

Confirming it didn't work

It seems you can disable Grammarly for specific apps here:

However how do you make that thing appear? It doesn't show up in my Chrome for some reason

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier. You can make it appear on specific sites, and then that option allows you to disable it for that site specifically. I can't figure out how to disable Chrome itself.

However, I might work around this by using Slack on the browser; I mainly need Grammarly to maximize my communication at work. Slack, Jira, PR reviews on Github all happen in the browser. They have a Chrome extension that does the same thing.

// UPDATE May 23, 2022: BetterSnapTool 1.9.7 is now available on the Mac App Store. The fix mentioned below is not necessary anymore.

Can you try running this terminal command while BetterSnapTool is quit?

defaults write com.hegenberg.BetterSnapTool BSTEnableEnhancementCheck YES

Grammarly and 1Password 8 seem to enable the accessibility enhancement mode in Google Chrome (I think this is bad because it means Chrome will use much more CPU), and this causes issues. With this command BetterSnapTool will try to disable this feature before each snap (and enable it again if it was set before)

If you are not familiar with the Terminal, here some more detailed explanation on how to execute the command:

1.) Open the “Terminal” app (this is located in your Applications folder in the sub-folder “Utilities”, but you will be able to open it using Apple’s Spotlight.)
2.) Quit BetterSnapTool (click the menubar icon on the top right, then select the quit option)
3.) Copy this command into the Terminal app, then hit the enter/return key:
defaults write com.hegenberg.BetterSnapTool BSTEnableEnhancementCheck YES
4.) You can now launch BetterSnapTool again and the issue will be fixed.

4 Likes

You freakin wizard, that did it. Thanks a ton

1 Like

Had the same issue with Chrome (96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) (x86_64)) on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020) and BigSur.
Also using Grammarly Mac-App and running this CLI command solved the issue.
Thanks!

Hello, I have the same issue. I'm using BST, Chrome and Grammarly. I tried the command shown above but still, have snapping problems with Chrome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, any other suggestions? Many Thanks.

Restart Chrome, BTS and Grammaly.

1 Like

Hi, unfortunately, that didn't resolve it. I tried a full machine restart as well. Im using BTS 1.9.5

Cheers
PS Love BTS !!

the only important step is to run the terminal command while BST is quit. I’d try again to make sure it’s quit, then run the command again.