Keyboard trigger causing unintended action in Apple Mail

Describe the bug
I have a keyboard trigger set to open the Calculator.app when I press F13 on the keyboard. It works fine when Finder has focus, or Chrome, or Messages, etc. However, if Apple Mail has the cursor focus with a message selected and I press F13, the calculator opens, but the mail message that had the focus is also moved to the trash mail folder. If I turn off the BTT keyboard trigger and go into Apple Mail and select a message, then hit F13, nothing happens (correct behavior). Not sure why BTT is launching Calculator, but also deleting the mail message. I assume this is a BTT bug.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Apple Magic Keyboard with number pad.

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz 16GB RAM
  • macOS version: 10.13.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.696

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have the latest version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

You should not use a key sequence for that, just use a normal shortcut , this will solve your issue.

Not sure what you mean by "normal" shortcut - can you elaborate? Thanks.

In your screenshot on the bottom left you have selected "Key Sequence" - instead switch to the other tab, "Shortcut". Then record the F13 shortcut again.

1 Like

OK...changed to shortcut.....still opened the calculator and sent the selected mail message to the trash. Then I quit and restarted BTT and it now works as expected (F13 only opens calculator). Thanks for the help - bug report can be cancelled.

1 Like