Keyboard shorcuts for specific keyboards?

Hi there,

I'm trying to setup keyboard shortcuts that should only be applied only for a specific (external) keyboard.
I'm currently doing this through a different app (Karabiner Elements), but I was wondering if BTT can also do this, since BTT has so many more features.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

That's not possible using BTT as it would require deeper system integration as far as I know.

Figured as much, since Karabiner needs to introduce a virtual keyboard to achieve this.

Thanks for the reply.

Is this still true? I was wondering if this was what the "Works on all keyboards"/"Works on keyboards with same type as used for recording" setting was about. (I have my Macbook Air keyboard, with the command button, and the vast majority of my BTT shortcuts are to be able to use the Ctrl button on my external--PC-based--keyboards interchangeably. I'd love to have BTT differentiate between internal and external keyboards.)

Side note: I'd also love a feature that would make Ctrl behave like Command universally (when I'm on an external keyboard).

Greetings @Andreas_Hegenberg,

This is a fantastic piece of software and has completely changed how I work - thank you.
After using BTT for many, many, years I have a lot of shortcuts created using the QWERTY layout.
However, I've developed wrist issues and am changing learning a new keyboard layout.
Unfortunately, when I select the Colemak layout the shortcuts no longer work. How can I make my shortcuts work with the new layout?

EDIT 1

An example
Application: Mail

Works

• Keyboard: US
  • Top level trigger: โŒ˜โ†ฉ๏ธŽ
  • Trigger conditions:
    • Works on all keyboards (selected)
    • Auto adapt to current keyboard layout (checked)
  • Action: โ‡งโŒ˜D (send message)
  • Action configuration:

Does not Work

• Keyboard: Colemak
  • Top level trigger: โŒ˜โ†ฉ๏ธŽ
  • Trigger conditions:
    • Works on all keyboards (selected)
  • Action: โ‡งโŒ˜S (this changed for some reason)
  • Action configuration:

EDIT 2
After some playing around I learned that an "Action" that uses "Menubar-Item" works regardless of the keyboard layout (QWERTY or Colemak).

How can I get other keyboard shortcuts to work on different layouts (QWERTY or Colemak)?

Cheers.