Keyboard actions stopped working when changing input source

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have tried the latest (alpha) version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

Describe the bug
When I change my input source from one (US) to another (Finnish) where the keyboard layout is fundamentally different, the keyboard actions stopped working. For example I want my Three fingers swipe left on my trackpad to trigger Command + Shift + [. This will not work when I'm on Finnish input source, because the keyboard layout is now different (the key [ is now mapped to å).

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 16"
  • macOS version: 10.15.2
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.270

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

This happens to me as well with English-Hebrew keyboard.
Is there any timeframe for a fix or a workaround?

10x

You need to check the "Adapt to current keyboard layout" option (below the recorded shortcut). This might however not work for all shortcuts.

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your response, I checked my action and looks like the checkbox is checked:

What do you mean by this?

unfortunately some special characters can’t be adapted to other keyboard layouts by BTT (in that case I’d recommend to create separate presets for the different keyboard layouts you use)

Hi,

I'm reviving this topic because I have a weird situation with the option "Adapt to current keyboard layout":

My macOS is set in French, but I use an international keyboard layout, so some shortcuts that macOS expects can't be done with this layout (for instance the Sort by > Type shortcut is ctrl + alt + command + É). I tried switching to French and setting those shortcuts in BTT for my custom Finder Touchbar buttons: indeed, the shortcuts are correctly recognised by BTT and the buttons work fine when I am still under the French kb layout. But if I switch back to the US one, no matter if I have the option "Adapt to current keyboard layout" checked or not, then the shortcuts change in BTT and that causes my Touchbar button to not work anymore (because the OS still expects the one with É). Is that a bug?

Thanks!!

Unfortunately that's expected behavior.
For such items you can change the shortcuts directly in macOS under System Preferenes => Keyboard => Shortcuts => App Shortcuts

Damn, okay thanks I'll try that :slight_smile: