Inverse scrolling for normal mouse not working after updating to Catalina

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have tried the latest (alpha) version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

Describe the bug

The setting "Inverse scrolling for normal mice only" has no effect.

I have scroll direction set to "Natural" under macOS Trackpad settings. Selecting or deselecting the option "Inverse scrolling for normal mice only" under BTT settings has no effect on scrolling with normal mouse. Scrolling direction is opposite to mouse wheel movements: scrolling mouse wheel down scrolls web page up and vice versa.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Logitech M555b bluetooth mouse. (Also other mice wired or wireless.)

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • macOS version: 10.15.4 (19E287)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.352

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

Setting was working fine on Mojave 10.14.6 and right after updating to Catalina 10.15.4, normal mouse scrolling behaviour changed.

I am stuck with "Inverse scrolling for normal mice only". Even without BTT open, with or without this setting selected. This interferes with macOS settings for Mouse and Trackpad, and third-party applications such as SmoothScroll.

It appears that BetterTouchTools lost the privileges to alter this setting, so it's not stuck forever based a prior choice. I also note that Scroll Reverser has a similar issue: https://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/.

BTT doesn’t modify any system setting for this, it changes the events „live“ which is why this setting only works while BTT is running.

So your issue can not be caused by BTT

Thank you for the reply Andreas.

So it looks I'm pretty much alone having this issue or the only one who is bothered that this feature is no longer working.

I want to reiterate that the scroll direction for normal mice is not "stuck" as described by Chris_Lee, but instead this setting has lost its function altogether.

Looking at what is being said about scroll reverser, perhaps something really changed in Catalina. I really do hope there will be a solution to this and the feature will be returning in a future version of Better Touch tool.

1 Like

This is most certainly a bug after upgrading to Catalina. Can we get eyes on this?

My problem is exactly as described above. Previously, setting the "inverse scrolling for normal mice" option worked without issue. I have the "natural" setting that is the system default turned on for the trackpad, but plugging in the mouse NO LONGER inverses the scroll.

No combination of settings/restarts have fixed this.

1 Like