Insane CPU usage after automatic update and restart. Fixed by quitting and opening again.

Description

When BTT downloaded and installed the last two updates 3.551 and 3.553, after clicking on "Restart BetterTouchTool" from the icon in the menu bar, the CPU raises so much and, of course, the temperature raises up to 90 degrees. The solution is to quit BTT and start it manually.

Note that this "bug" doesn't prevent to use BTT and can be easily worked around, but I just report it because it could still be happening with future versions.

Workaround

Quit the BetterTouchTool from the icon from the menu bar and start it manually.

Supposed steps to reproduce (didn't try)

• Manually install the previous version of 3.551 (so 3.540)
  • Let BTT download the latest stable version (3.553) and restart it from the icon from the menu bar
  • The CPU in the Activity Monitor goes insanely high

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  • macOS version: Catalina 10.15.7 (19H114)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.540 updated to 3.551 and 3.551 updated to 3.553. So the bug happened in 3.551 and 3.553.

Additional information

• No monitors connected to the MacBook
  • The configuration/triggers for BTT hasn't been changed since it was installed more than a year ago

Thank you. This just happened to me on my 16" 2019 MBP running Big Sur 11.1 (20C69), and your workaround worked for me.

1 Like

I still have this problem, and while the workaround appeared to work for me the first times it happened, nowadays it doesn't work anymore. I really don't know why...