Incomplete middle-click behavior

I'm new to BetterTouchTool (BTT), using version 3.581 on MacOS Big Sur (11.6) with an Apple Magic Mouse 2 (A1657).

I've configured BTT with three gestures:

• swipe left
  • swipe right
  • middle-click

I've configured "HUD Overlay" for each one of the three gestures.
When I swipe left or swipe right, I see the overlay.

When I middle-click, I see the following middle-click effects:

• in Firefox 92.0: open a hyperlink in a new tab; close a tab by clicking on it.
  • IntelliJ IDEA 2021.2.2 (Ultimate Edition): close an Editor tab by clicking on it.

However, the middle-click behavior is incomplete:

• I don't see the overlay when I middle-click.
  • in IDEA, middle-clicking a Java element in an Editor's content-pane doesn't navigate to the element's declaration or usages.

The lack of middle-click functionality in IDEA disappoints me most. I'd purchased BTT in hope of obtaining that functionality.

For what it's worth, when I use a wheel mouse that allows middle-clicking via the wheel, IDEA enacts the middle-click behaviors that I expect (and for which IDEA was configured, by default).

Any advice?

That's why there is a 45 day trial of BTT. Some of these apps (like IntelliJ) just don't behave right for programatically generated events. BTT does already include some workarounds for IntelliJ, but I never figured out a complete solution.

I know this reply is not very helpful, I just don't have a good solution :slight_smile:

One thing you could try is to use either cmd+click instead or use the "Custom Click" action in BTT, which tries to perform the Middle Click via different techniques.

Otherwise I'd recommend to get a refund, because I have tried to get this to work many times and never found a full solution for IntelliJ. Possibly create a bugreport with them as well.

By the way I recommend to use a three finger click trigger instead of the single finger middle click - it's much more reliable on the small touch surface of the Magic Mouse.

@Andreas_Hegenberg , on the contrary: I find your reply very helpful! I appreciate knowing the background, including that you've wrestled with IDEA and that you've added some partial workarounds. I also appreciate the suggestions.

1 Like

The HUD thing is something I need to fix. BTT currently bypasses all such "interceptors" for clicks, to make them as fast as possible - but then it should at least not show it in the UI.

Aha, that makes sense. I humbly suggest retaining (but disabling) the HUD Overlay controls for clicks, and changing their tooltips to explain their being disabled.

1 Like

It has been a while since I looked at the IntelliJ issues - maybe let me give it a try this weekend.

1 Like

For what it's worth, IDEA's Keymap search feature seems to recognize the programmatic middle-click:

Note: I'd middle-clicked on "Mouse shortcut".