// Small EXAMPLE of what I mean:
- Setup in BetterTouch the Keyboard shortcut LEFT-OPTION + S (s like Shell) and assign it to the action "Show/Hide specific app" and chose Terminal
- Imagine multiple desktops.
- Imagine Terminal options - "assign to" is set to "none" (the default).
- You trigger the "show/hide" action and the terminal get's (started and) shown on desktop A.
- Then you switch to desktop B.
- If you now trigger the "show/hide" action again Mission Control will switch to the desktop A to show the Terminal there. But This to me is an unwanted side-effect. As I chose the action "show/hide app" this should not implicate a desktop switch.
// The same EXAMPLE -- but with "assign to All desktops"
As a workaround you can set the option on the icon to "Assign to ALL DESKOPS" ... but then again this is not what I want actually, because it means:
- I am on Desktop A, trigger the show/hide action and the Terminal appears.
- Now if I switch to Desktop B I don't want to see the Terminal there.
- And the Show on all Desktops causes actually an ugly flickering when you switch to Desktop B.
- And also when you switch to Desktop B and there is another app then the Terminal actually does not show up on-top there...
So there is really no point in the "assign to ALL DESKOPS" option of the MacOSX DOCK.
// As a solution I thought about two things:
A straight forward explicit option "move window to current desktop before show" for the action "show/hide specific application" could be a solution that also does the trick.
Or alternatively something more universal which would allow a lot more magic down the road: The ability to add to the "Show/Hide specific app" action a (list of) "before show" and/or "before hide" actions.
// Some more info on my usecase:
I work with multiple desktops and on all of them from time to time need to quickly do something in shell. Hence I would like to show/hide the Terminal app with a keyboard shortcut.
If you work with multiple desktops then usually you want the mission-control option "when switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application" ... because otherwise the macosx task switcher (CMD + TAB) won't work as expected anymore.
But if you have this option then unfortunately the current BBT's implementation of the action "show/hide specific application" switches also desktops ... which is a (likely in most cases) unwanted side-effect... as the action does not talk about changing desktops... and there are other actions for that.
Hence my idea to allow "sub-actions" for this action: "pre-show" and "pre-hide" <<< this would be the most flexible solution that I see.
Or is there an even better solution maybe already possible that I oversaw? (possible ! :))
Thanks a lot for any hint!