Hyper Key + Arrows

Hi there,

I am new to the forum, I've been looking around for the past one hour and there are a couple of threads about this, but I couldn't solve the issue on my system.

Describe the bug
The combination of Hyper Key + Arrows is still not working for me. I do window management directly in Keyboard Maestro.

Affected input device:
Apple wireless keyboard

Device information:

• Type of Mac: iMac, M1, 2021
  • macOS version: Monterey 12.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.624 (I am on Setapp and the very latest is still not available)

Thanks for your support.

I am not sure if I understand your problem correctly. If you want to avoid hyper key, or it does not work, but you want to use "Caps Lock" as a Modifier try this.

I suppose your keyboard does not have a „Control-Key“ on the right side. If so you can chance the Caps Lock to „Ctrl right“. Do this in the Mac OS, System preference —> Keyboard.

Now Caps Lock = Ctrl right

Then record the combination of Caps lock + Arrows (or whatever you want) in BTT. Make sure you tell BTT to use „right Control“ (not left Control). So you can use the two keys as different modifiers, without Hyper Key but with Caps Lock.

How do you use the arrow keys? It seems to work fine for me like this:

Hi Frank,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

To answer your question: the Hyper Key (Caps Lock for me) is not working in combination with the arrow keys. The rest seem to be working fine, so the issue is clearly with the combination with arrow keys.

Correct I don't have a "right Control" key, yours is a pretty interesting approach, and I am keen to explore it, just one question, with this "right Control" approach how do I still keep the Caps Lock functionality in the instances where I am not using it as an Hyper Key?

Thanks

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for reaching out!

In think In the same way as you in your screenshot but in Keyboard Maestro.

I've now, as you can see from the screenshot, used as a workaround the "J,K, L, I and ," keys to make it work, I've found that tip in another similar post about this issue. Those keys however would be useful for other macros and I'd like to stick to the arrows if possible but they don't seem to work in combination with the Caps Lock Hyper Key. Below is also my config of the Caps Lock Hyper Key.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks!

There are several ways to turn Caps Lock on and off. I use the predefined action in BTT with the Key combination Command + Option + Control + c. But you can use any combination you like. The same predefined action is also available in Keyboard Maestro, that you also use. And yes I prefer the "right Control" solution because it is simple and works :slight_smile:

One more thing, rose: You could also do your window management with key sequences instead of hyper keys and shortcuts. That could be more intuitive.

For example:

For (Windows) „Bottom Left“ you type „bl space space“

Double „space“ is better, so the trigger does not interfere with normal text typing.

(Windows) „Bottom Right“ = „br space space“

And so on.

Key sequences are underestimated. It's just a thought :slight_smile:

Hi @Andreas_Hegenberg, just wondering if there is a plan to fix this?

It seems to work fine here, however the BTT Hyper Key is optimized for triggering actions inside of BTT. To trigger actions in keyboard maestro using it, you might want to use the BTT apple script action (or one of the other ways zo trigger KM)

Thank you Andreas for the speedy reply, I'll remap everything so that it uses BTT then.