HUD Overlay 'Show when gesture is triggered' doesn't work unless there is also an action assigned to the trigger

Describe the bug

HUD Overlay 'Show when gesture is triggered' doesn't work unless there is also an action assigned to the trigger.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Magic Trackpad / N/A

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro, 16-inch, 2019
  • macOS version: Ventura 13.1 (22C65)
  • BetterTouchTool version: Version 3.952 (2117)

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

I created a new trigger:

Which has no actions assigned to it:

And I configured HUD Overlay's 'Show when gesture is triggered':

When I trigger my gesture, I would expect to see the HUD overlay show up; but nothing happens. :bug:

I then configure any action for the gesture:

When I trigger my gesture now, the HUD overlay shows up, as expected :ok_hand: (even though there are definitely some formatting/cropping issues with the text shown in it):

If I remove the configured action again:

When I trigger my gesture, the HUD overlay doesn't show up again :bug:

This is due to some performance optimizations BTT does. In order to not evaluate not used triggers, a trigger without any actions is usually not even loaded from the database.

You can instead assign the "Show HUD" action (which by the way has been improved a lot with the latest alpha)

1 Like

Yeah, fair enough, that makes sense.

I guess it would be good to have that shown in the UI somehow, so that it's not an 'unexpected thing' to the end-user. A little i info note or similar in that section would be helpful; or possibly even having it disabled/greyed out when there are no actions configured (ideally with an explanation as to why it's disabled) would make this feel more like an 'explicit feature' rather than a 'weird and confusing bug'.

Yup, maybe I can even consider the hud option as an action. I'll do some experiments with that.

1 Like

Awesome! I appreciate your efforts/work! :slight_smile: