How to create a shortcut such that a mouse button hold + click & drag simulates a keyboard key hold + click & drag?

Hello,

Context
I will keep it to the point. I have a gaming mouse with about 12 buttons on the side. I use Karabiner to remap those buttons from the out of the box defaults of keyboard keys of 1,2,3,...0,+,= to virtual buttons that Karabiner provides (Button 3, Button 4, Button 5, and so on). The reason I have done this is so that these buttons are recognized through BTT and not as keyboard keys. This way I can append modifier keys to them to get more mileage out of the 12 buttons.

Ask
I use apps like Cinema4D for work and it has a number of keys that need to be held down in conjunction while moving the mouse at the same time to navigate the 3D environment.

In Cinema 4D, I would love to be able to hold down Button 3 (or 4/5/6/7, etc.) on my mouse whilst left-clicking and dragging in order to pan the 3D space. By default, panning is done by holding the number 1 key down and click and dragging to pan in any direction.

I've recently started using the new UI for BTT so any screenshots or layman's terms to help me understand the set up better is much appreciated.

TL;DR

In Cinema 4D, I would love to be able to hold down Button 3 (or 4/5/6/7, etc.) on my mouse whilst left-clicking and dragging in order to pan the 3D space. By default, panning is done by holding the number 1 key down and click and dragging to pan in any direction. Is this achievable through BTT and if not could this be a feature request? I can imagine there are a lot of softwares where holding a key to enter into a specific mode is super helpful!

Thank you for taking time to read this and any help in the matter!

**Clarification, I understand buttons 1 and 2 may be reserved for left and right clicks and are protected buttons (same with how middle click is recognized natively in BTT).

The 12 buttons on the side of my mouse technically start at Button 3 and work their way up from there.

Hi @TylerWahoo -- Did you ever figure out a good way to do this? I want to do the same with an Evoluent mouse that have two extra buttons (Button 3 & 4)... hold them down to modify left and right clicking. I tried using Button 3 as a shortcut for pressing and release CMD (or any other key modifier), but this seems to be very unreliable.

Thanks!

Jake

I would also like this for window moving and resizing. Any luck getting it to work?

-t