Group always open

Describe the bug
Just updated to 2.536, and enabled that new feature to let a group open, but for a specific app (Lightroom), but when I switch to another app it remains open even tho the context of that group doens't match the app I'm in right now, the expected behaviour from my point of view would be to when I leave Lightroom or any other app that I left a group open it changed to the other app, lets say Chrome custom touch bar but when I'm back to Lightroom the group I've left open will stay open

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

Touchbar

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook pro 15" 2017
  • macOS version: 10.13.16
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.536

@Andreas_Hegenberg there's a way to save in memory the position (open or not) of a group for specified app, but not keep that group open when you're global?
example:
global I have some other settings with weather spotify etc
lightroom I have library and develop mode, when I'm in develop mode (group open) and I switch apps the group stays open, the desired effect would be to go back to global settings, and when I'm back to lightroom I'm with the group open

or guide me on a way to detect on lightroom if develop is active or smth and have an observer settings to open/close groups?

So, I did an Observer pattern where I have an Applescript widget on my root level and one at my group level that does that:

tell application "System Events"
set activeApp to name of first application process whose frontmost is true
if "Lightroom" is in activeApp then
	tell application process "Lightroom"
		if menu bar item "Develop" of menu bar 1 exists then
			# set group open
			tell application "BetterTouchTool"

execute_assigned_actions_for_trigger "2733A84D-4E20-4FA3-9B98-09E4FBF247BD"

end tell
			return ""
		else
			# set group closed
			tell application "BetterTouchTool"

execute_assigned_actions_for_trigger "506ECE44-271F-45C9-87ED-56B5681DD0BC"

end tell
			return ""
		end if
	end tell
  end if
end tell

the actions I have set on my Others tab, the first one is to open the Develop group that I have created and the second is to close the opened group (would be awesome if I could target which group to close instead so I could create more code like that and target specific folders to close if open)

Unfortunately, I've found out that if I tick the box to not let this widget visible it won't execute, not even with the set time for it of 5 seconds, so I did let it visible and with an empty return, and zero everything (font size, width, height, etc).

This is expected behaviour (from what I see) and it's quite useful for me, (keeping the group open untill I want to close it) but yes this extra toggle "Remember open group for app" would be very helpful. I'll probably feature request this soon

@Andreas_Hegenberg, this behaviour is by design right?

yeayeah, no doubt it was a mistake from my part when I first reported as a bug, I misread the checkbox, but now I have not selected it and sometimes when I open it it remains open hehe.
but the fake observer pattern I did works like a charm it "remembers" which group should be open when I go back to the app by reading the menus of the app

Yes I understand it’s a bit misleading, I thought it was meant to work as you said initially too..

Your script looks interesting, maybe i’ll try it in my preset... do you mind that?

also, the bug where the group stays open even when the box is unchecked is a bug that i’m experiencing too. I’ve reported that one.

Good work!

1 Like

Yeah sure, go for it :slight_smile: I wish there was a way to target a specific group to close just to be on the safe side of the script