2. input volume drops to 1 or 0
  3. button goes red
  4. immediately button goes back to normal grey color
  5. input volume stays at 1 or 0
  6. press button to go back to unmuted
  7. nada
  8. ...
  9. be sad

Expected behavior: be able to mute and unmute myself. otherwise the button seems to have no purpose?

Every few days I come back to see progress in this thread and it just gets better each time! Loving it!

My number one use for the touch bar with BTT is for volume and brightness using the multi finger gestures, it's genius! Is there a way to show the percentage while you are in the gesture mode rather than just a white line?

2 Likes

Also from a UX point of view the menus and modifier menus are kinda of whacky. When you are on the main bar everything is basically Left to Right alignment, Control is also left to right, Option is Right to Left, and Command is again Left to Right. Which means as a new user you have to keep remembering that some things are usable left hand only while others require two hand interactions. LIke say if i want to modify the brightness (i have turned the buttons off on the main strip).

Hopefully that makes sense. This is not a "big deal" but it def gets a bit o.O the more you use GC, at least for myself :), also to note, I love GC and it has brought new life to my laptop like nothing other than originally running BTT years back.

1 Like

Purple! Interesting!

What was that used for?? haha

That one's for Safari Technology Preview!

@kurktchiev that sounds like a bug with the mute button. I'm not seeing that behavior here. Are you on the latest BTT alpha? What version of GC-BTT are you running?

@rctneil personally, I think it would be cool if the line graphic was segmented to represent the current level of volume/brightness. Right now there's no way to change or customize this feature.

1 Like

latest alpha of BTT and latest alpha of GC and it seems to be doing this with zoom.us and gotomeeting. if i am in say chrome or on the desktop and hit the mute it does what I expect it to do, but any other app it seems to not like restoring the input volume

I've noticed the same thing with WebEx. Watching the Sound Preferences, I see the input volume restored to the correct level, but it doesn't actually unmute the microphone, so the remote users cannot hear me. (I think dragging the slider in the Sound Preferences fixes the issue, so maybe this is a macOS problem?)

Huh, I'll look into this. Hopefully it's something I can fix!

If you want a microphone mute button that just works system wide, instead of for individual apps use this as a widget:

Script to determine which icon to display - Applescript:

set MicLevel to input volume of ( get volume settings )
if MicLevel is 0 then
set Muted to "Yes"
else
set Muted to "No"
end if

Predefined action - Applescript:

set MicLevel to input volume of ( get volume settings )
-- unmute
if MicLevel is 0 then
set volume input volume 50 -- set wanted volume
-- mute
else
set volume input volume 0
end if

Hi @GoldenChaos,

Am I the only one who experiences that BTT with one of your (amazing!) presets is consuming a lot of battery? Hovering on the charging item in the menu bar mentions BTT as using significant energy.

Today was the first time I realised it, probably because it was the first time I was working for a longer time on my laptop.
The activity monitor even said that during this time, BTT had a higher average energy consumption than RStudio and PyCharm, which is quite a surprise to me.

I didn't dig very deep into this, but I just assume that all those apple scripts run constantly in the background to see if something needs to be updated (new email, new message, new event ... you get the idea).
Am I right in assuming that the apple scripts cause a the battery drainage? If this is the case, maybe one could integrate a kind of global variable which defines the update frequency. I personally would not mind to only see an update every minute or so.

Happy to hear other feedback!

You are correct, running GC-BTT does come with an energy cost. There is a tremendous effort currently to reduce GC-BTT's energy usage, and I'm replacing AppleScripts with @Andreas_Hegenberg's native implementations as quickly as they're available.

The dock scripts are particularly expensive, and there probably won't be a way around that for a while. So only enable dock badges for apps you really want to see badges for.

In general, I've found the current experimental version (2.638 at the time of this writing) to be the right balance of energy efficiency and performance. However, I might make a "low power" preset in the future that turns off all dock widgets and makes applescripts run less often.

Thanks for your fast reply.
Currently I am running an older version (2.627 to be precise) and I am hesitating to update as I have done quite a few changes to your preset (mainly to ignore some calendars and changing the time format to 24h). Is there an easy way to transfer those to a newer version of your presets?

Since I have only experienced it today I haven't had the time to dig in deeper and follow your suggestion to enable dock badges for apps I actually want to see badges for. But I will certainly do this!

So the idea to set a global variable which defines the update frequency is not an option? I am no familiar with apple scripts, excuse me if this does not make any sense.

Yes - all of the newer settings in 2.638 use persistent variables to retain your settings between upgrades. I'm transitioning older GC-BTT settings to use variables, but it's time consuming and won't be finished for a few days probably - it's definitely a goal of mine for the next stable version to be the one that's easily upgradeable.

(btw, 2.638 adds 24-hour time to the GC-BTT settings :slight_smile: - so you won't need to redo that customization!)

Hi, GoldenChaos

I have a question. I want to show Weather Today (High), {temperatureHigh_rounded}. but it can't be show on touchBar. BTT not support {temperatureHigh_rounded}? Now, only {temperatureLow_rounded} can be show on TouchBar.

I seem to be doing something wrong with the 2.638 GC-BTT settings. Neither the 24-hour time, nor the calendar app, nor the hiding Siri spotlight and notification center are reflected in the touch bar..

But thanks anyway for all the effort you put into this! Your presets are amazing!

Sorry for taking so long to respond! You need to remove all GC-BTT versions before upgrading at the moment. Once I move everything to variables that won’t be the case.

@idhun90 that’s a question for @Andreas_Hegenberg :wink:

1 Like

Super awesome stuff you have going on here. Only feedback is to change some of your items to buttons instead of widgets. The energy impact is huge even after deleting all the ones I won't use because you are using widgets for almost everything. If you don't need to constantly updated a widget it's better to set it as a button and use the Run script in the background (async) or (blocking) to keep it efficient and not drain your battery.

Here is a script for copying the spotify URL btw:

tell application "Spotify"
	set newUrl to spotify url of current track
	set the clipboard to newUrl
end tell

All in all though, thanks for this stuff. It's super awesome.

1 Like

I hope there are going to be optimizations too -- even though I love it, the energy drain and additional heat generated from this preset is not worth it.

1 Like

@BitForger @springles it gets better and more optimized with each release! There is definitely a reason that the experimental versions are labeled as such. In this case, all those widgets that don't need to be widgets are development leftovers. Since widgets are a lot more flexible to work with, and there are a myriad of bugs related to creating/copying/dragging items inside of button groups, I made everything a widget to start. Some of these ended up needing to be widgets, others didn't, and now there are leftovers.

In any case, not here to make excuses; I'll suck it up and do the work to replace them with regular buttons for the next version, haha.

(It's worth noting that some empty widgets in settings are actually placeholders. Since I'm still implementing persistent variables, these will have scripts that check these variables at a later time.)

1 Like

@GoldenChaos

Are your 'dynamic' play buttons working properly? At times on my side (AQT) they don't seem to change their icon correctly and get stuck. Am I missing something? (like an extra thing I had to copy for them to work correctly)