GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

It still uses multiple widgets each with their own conditional statements. I might try combining them into one widget in the future, but then you'd lose all the nice custom app icons.

As for todoist, I don't personally use it and I'm not familiar with their API, but if you guys manage to get something working I'll include it in the preset :slight_smile:

Hi @GoldenChaos this is truly amazing. I appreciate all the work you did with this.

1. Is there a way to include the Do Not Disturb icon for immediate access? Is the only action that I currently use with the stock (and terrible) touch bar.

2. Is there a way to switch Farenheit to Celsius on the weather widget?

Many thanks in advance, and congratulations on the hard work.

1 Like

I'm glad you're enjoying the preset :slight_smile: to answer your questions:

• There is a Do Not Disturb toggle in the expanded control strip - just hold down the Option key, it's next to Night Shift. Most every button available on the stock control strip is there, plus some extras!
  • If you edit the weather widget, you'll find a line for Celcius conversion commented out. Just uncomment it and bam! SI units.

Amaaazing.

I didn't find the commented piece but on this part:

set weather to fetch JSON from "http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?lat=" & item 1 of clocation_coords & "&lon=" & item 2 of clocation_coords & "&units=metric&appid=32c4256d09a4c52b38aecddba7a078f6"

I did the switch on the units.

Ah, you're on an older version! My bad. I'm guessing you're on the main release (2.513). Glad you figured it out, haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Not necessarily :slight_smile:

Right click the applications - show package - resources - and copy out their app icons.

I do this if I can't pull an artwork from iTunes

As for Todoist, I've gone a longer route through IFTTT and Dropbox. Probably not something to include in the overall preset as there are quite a few manual settings each user would need to do. But it might help anyone personally. As it doesn't just have to be Todoist.

Oh, I'm gonna update now then. I've downloaded the one you have in your initial post and I thought that was the latest version.

I'm having an issue with the weather widget now. Getting the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "", line 3, in
ImportError: No module named requests

And getting this on the iCal one:

2018-06-27 16:16:27.263 icalBuddy[20300:3713478] Error loading /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CalendarFoundation.framework/CalendarFoundation: dlopen(/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CalendarFoundation.framework/CalendarFoundation, 265): no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CalendarFoundation.framework/CalendarFoundation: mach-o, but wrong architecture
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CalendarFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CalendarFoundation: mach-o, but wrong architecture

With the main release weather and calendar events work fine.

Working on a fix for Calendar, will have it posted shortly. Weather widget is a new version using the Dark Sky API and LocateMe since JSON/Location Helper don't work on Mojave. The Python module "requests" is also required for this new weather widget to work, and that's the part you don't seem to have installed. Install with pip install requests and it should work :slight_smile:

I'm running into an issue with what I'm assuming is caused by the weather widget (I am using the latest 2.526 goldenchaos on 2.530 BTT -- which might be the reason).

What happens is after a period of time (usually when the computer goes to sleep and I log back on), the entire touchbar is black to the left of the search button. The same happens when holding down option. Disabling the weather script for both restores everything back to normal.

Anyone else running into that issue?

This is what happens when the weather script can’t get any weather data (such as when there is no network connection). I’ll see how to add better error handling to the script so that doesn’t happen. Restarting BTT will fix it if you’ve restored network access.

That did the trick. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

The weather script was working fine until this afternoon where I started getting the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
  File "/Users/chompas/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 896, in json
    return complexjson.loads(self.text, **kwargs)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 338, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 366, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 384, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded

Any ideas? @GoldenChaos

Unfortunately it's a limitation of the Dark Sky API. I only get 1000 requests per day, so I have been working on lowering the number of requests the preset uses. Unfortunately, the weather widget appears in multiple locations, and it wouldn't look good to selectively hide the weather widget. It also wouldn't fix the underlying issue of only having 1000 requests, womp.

I would love to use a service that doesn't have a limit, but there doesn't seem to be one that's reliable. I'm open to suggestions, and in the meantime I'll work on further reducing the number of API calls it uses.

Ah, that makes sense. I had the same issue in the past with weather APIs. Will ping you if I find a good alternative.

You can try yr.no - very reliable and very free. And it covers the world.

https://om.yr.no/info/verdata/free-weather-data/

1 Like

Will definitely check this out.

Hello...I'm getting the same traceback error using the weather widget (am on Mojave). I did the pip install requests but it did not seem to fix anything. Is there anything I should double check?

Thx!

Remember that time I said API usage was manageable?

Oops :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: back to the drawing board...

@Andreas_Hegenberg is there any way this feature could be fast tracked? People clearly want it, haha.

I don't know if this was explained somewhere else, but how do you upgrade the preset without wiping out changes you've made to the existing one? For instance, I disable certain items like Spotify and will modify the iCal portion for my specific calendars, etc, etc.

Right now I've just been selecting to wipe everything out but that means having to redo the settings. Choosing to import triggers only will double everything up.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do a delta update :disappointed: my recommendation is to modify it as little as you can get away with to make upgrades easier, because you'll have to copy your changes over. I'm constantly trying to reduce configuration steps, and the calendar is the worst offender at the moment.