French accents with keyboard shortcuts

Yes it works on my French keyboard but when I switch to English, it doesn't as English layout doesn't have that character by default.
Not sure if there is a workaround.

Ok, then try the "type" action

Oh I think this could work! Thanks

Now I can't use the letter "e" anymore haha although I specified holding time for the action to happen.

Any idea?

You must set up both actions, long and short press.

I tried different ways but can't seem to make this work properly.

If you have time today or tomorrow can you please send screenshots of how you would set up both short and hold actions (can use any random text/character for the example).

Thanks

Good morning, I'm afraid I have to leave. You can find an example with screenshots here. Try which minimum/maximum settings work best for you.

Yeah that's what I did but doesn't work. Also makes BTT crash when having those 2 actions enabled.

Ah, what you do not see in this example ... If you set up e = e you have to click "prevent recursive triggers".

Tried this as well but now when I type, got this this weird bug where the key I press after "e" shows before "e".

For ex, I will press "e" then spacebar, space will be first so " e" instead of "e " unless I wait a tad longer than my natural typing speed if that makes sense. It happens no matter what maximum hold time I set up.

Yes.... I didn't know you are a fast writer. Welcome to the club :smile: :frowning_face: for us this long/short thing does not work satisfactorily. The problem is that one action is triggered when the key is released. But the following key is triggered when pressed. So…

Hmm ok makes sense! I guess no solution as of today then.

There are many other possibilities. Which letter do you need more often e or é?

e

with 'e' I would need "é", "è", "ê"
then got "a" and "à"
"c" and "ç"
"u" and "ù"

Ok... what about the macos "bubble"?

Yeah might resolve to do this or remap a couple of keys I never use on english keyboard and retrain my muscle memory.

Could also just switch to French keyboard as an input source when typing in French as I pretty much never look at the keyboard while typing.

Will experiment and see what fits best.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Btw if I use French input source while using English keyboard, do you know a way/shortcut to briefly show keyboard viewer in different language than the active input source so I can see quickly where is a certain character I might not be sure about?

macbook pro - How to show or hide Keyboard Viewer with a keyboard shortcut? - Ask Different looks promising

Maybe this last idea: In the cases where you need only two different characters, eg a and à, you can use a key sequence. eg a typed twice = à.
Typed once (normal) = a.

If you need aa often and don't want it to become à automatically, use a sequence with aa+space. This should eliminate interference.

Guess i found a solution.

Create a new keyboard shortcut then in the action search for: Insert/Type/Paste custom Text and write your character.

Im using function+control+letter.