Find Image on Screen performance

I was hoping to use the "Find Image On Screen & Move Mouse" feature, but it seems to be extremely slow (as in it can take 20 seconds to run) and often seems to just not work at all (or maybe I'm not waiting long enough).

Is there any chance of improving this feature? In particular, I would love to be able to search for a series of red dots under a spelling error in a text field, and move the mouse to that location (followed by a right click to show the correction list).

I tested the latest stable and alpha versions, with the same result, and I'm running Mac OS Big Sur on an older 27" iMac.

have the same issue, it stopped working after upgrading to monterey

Have you tried increasing the treshold a bit? The higher the treshold (and the smaller the picture you are searching for) the faster it will be, but at some point compression artifacts etc. make it impossible for BTT to find the correct spot. So this is a bit trial & error at the moment.

it was actually working perfectly b4 monterey, also for some reason BTT doesnt save the image treshold when the preset is exported/imported

Is this working now?

@Andreas_Hegenberg the trouble is that even with a very small, pixel perfect .png or browser-rendered elements (text, buttons), even at 50%, 95%, 100% tolerance, it still fails to find a match, or matches a completely wrong spot. I almost suspect that internally, BetterTouchTool might be adding compression artifacts or aliasing to a different resolution, within the code. Perhaps it has to do with Retina screens using 200% DPI? I don't know. I am grasping for an explaination since I can't figure it out. I would love for any method to make this feature work reliably, and will gladly do troubleshooting steps to help you reproduce the issue on your side.

there are lots of things like transparency effects etc. that can influence this.
It's best to select a small distinct area, in addition you can adjust the "exactness" of the search using the treshold slider:

I'll keep trying, but even a simple arrow button fails to match, with what looks like a lot of tolerance. I can get it to work if I keep trying (Choose area of screen, over and over until it starts working), but it feels like it should have worked. I have this hunch that something weird is going on.

Could it be this feature of newer macbooks, where it changes the yellow-blue tone dynamically based on the ambient sensor? Use True Tone on your Mac - Apple Support . I suppose I could look up how to turn that off and try again.

are you using the "choose area of screen" button or are you capturing the image via other means?

Yes I am

I guess it's working now. It might be placebo, but for the other frustrated folks in this thread, here is what might help:

• Turn off True Tone
  • Turn off automatic brightness
  • Turn off Night Shift
  • Move the BetterTouchTool window FAR from where you're screenshotting, since the window casts a faint shadow effect

Now if only BTT could fast forward this sexual harassment trainings time requirement

1 Like

4.207 alpha (currently uploading) should significantly improve this by switching to a completely different algorithm. It can now find images that are scaled, or have slight color differences etc.