Escape does not work while switching apps

Describe the bug
The touch bar is not responsive while I'm in app switcher mode (i.e. when I hold CMD + Tab to navigate through my open apps). With the native touch bar configuration, I typically relied on hitting "esc" to get out of the view.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
MacBook Pro Touch Bar

Screenshots
N/A

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MBP 13" 2016
  • macOS version: Mojave
  • BetterTouchTool version: Latest

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have the latest version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

+1 this is the only real difference keeping me from fully switching to BTT.

Unfortunately this is a system limitation without a known workaround (macOS disables all Touch Bar apps while Application Switcher or Mission Control are active.)

I recommend to remap caps lock to esc in System Preferenes => Keyboard => Modifiers

1 Like

Could you detect that the app switcher is active and disable the BTT Touch Bar while it is?

No, I don't know of a way that can detect whether app switcher is active.(besides tracking keyboard and mouse input and inferring that, but this is not reliable)

Hey in case if anyone is interested, this also was a thing stopping me from fully replacing the native touchbar, but since the only way to get around this is to use hardware buttons i use the following combination to emulate "Esc" press:

I've seen in a GitHub issue a person proposed using cmd+` to emulate "Esc", since this button is so close to "Esc" but this does conflict with default OS behavior: switching between app windows.
So i added "Fn" button and it's working great for me: Fn key is very easy to press with your pinky finger when you're reaching to Esc (or ` in our case) with your other finger to close app switcher.

And most importantly this doesn't conflict with any OS key combo :wink:

In the newest Mac OS X and BTT it seems once CMD+TAB is pressed and CMD continues to be held, CMD+1 will exit and CMD+` will go back and CMD+TAB forward. so ESC isn't needed.