Dropbox Sync - repeat requests on system wake from sleep

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have tried the latest (alpha) version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

Describe the bug
Recurrent requests to sync with Dropbox - opens a new dialogue / Safari window most days I start up from sleep.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Macbook pro

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 14" M1 Pro
  • macOS version: Latest ventura
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one")

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
Will have no issues with the sync but will ask me to re-sync or allow access to dropbox almost every day/every other day

This is very annoying (mine happens on all types of CPUs).
Mine also requests more (and also it asks Dropbox sync too):

It was for me since ages, but before in older OS it was "press thousands times and it might be gone" -

Now in Sonoma it become even more harder: it is now blocks some system processes so hangs up and never ends and even nothing I can do to kill it in Activity monitor (I am killing, those respawning & hanging). So it becomes that solution only is to reboot. I reinstalled app again, tried some hacks, nothing helped.

I googled before - some people said it because of location request from wheather icon in the touchbar - I removed location detection, put a hardcode. Not helped. Then I removed that icon from touchbar at all. Then ... Then this began to happen for me on iMac where NO TOUCH BAR AT ALL (sic!).

but yes it always asks for more + dropbox for some reason!

Only one solution (crazy and unefficient) I found is when you putting your laptop to sleep - quit from BetterTouchTool

But yeah, it's very hard to drop away this app - I buyed it for a reason, all-the-time-helper for me to work with Mac efficiently (thanks @Andreas_Hegenberg - also for fixing this bug when it happens with our help :hugs: )

The "... would like to access data from other apps" is a buggy new permission in Sonoma. The only workaround on affected machines seems to be giving BTT the "Full Disk Access" permission in System Settings => Privacy & Security => Full Disk Access

It sounds like you have the experimental Dropbox sync enabled without actually using it. I strongly recommend to disable that if you don't rely on it:

1 Like

Thanks! Full disk access helped. At least for this annoying blocking all machine popup. (yet it is somewhat a security hole if to use community scripts).

And Dropbox: ok, switching to iCloud sync then. :man_shrugging:

:+1:

iCloud sync is equally experimental & bad. They both will soon be replaced by something better (based on iCloud, but using the new APIs) :slight_smile:

1 Like

:fearful: :pray: thanks! :).