Display bug when using the "Floating WebView" function

Hi,

I had a display bug when using the "Floating WebView" function.

When I use the "Floating WebView" with the "No Titlebar" mode for the "Titlebar Style", I have no window frame, rounded corners, or shadows.

Here is a screenshot showing an example of the issue.

Here is the output I was expecting with the use of this function as an example :

Configuration window :

I also have another problematic bug. It is impossible to use the text selection tool on the web page. When I select text, nothing happens. Like in the example video below:

The "Transform & Replace Selection with ChatGPT" actions also do not work in "Floating WebView" windows.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 2019
  • macOS version: 14.4 (23E214)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.436

The new floating menu's provide a bit more flexibility for such usecases. Have a look at this example (show/hide via right cmd + H)
ChatGPT.bttpreset (7.8 KB)

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your reply.

I tested both: the new floating menu and the old one, but I find that the old floating WebView is simpler to configure and more stable than the new one.

The new floating WebView menu does not properly retain the web page in memory, even with the option enabled. It regularly reloads the page whenever the function is called or when waking up the device. I have not found an option to preload the page as in the old version.

Additionally, I notice that it does not automatically center the window in the middle of the screen immediately. This works half of the time.

About the text selection bug as shown in the video, it is also present on the new floating WebView.

I hope that improvements can be made to have the best of both worlds.

If you want the webview to always re-center, use this action in addition to the show/hide. I'll add an option to the toggle action to make this easier.

I haven't seen it reloading yet, that is weird. I'll try to reproduce that.

I can reproduce the text selection issue, I'll add a workaround for both options!

Thank you for your response, I will try that way.

The text selection thing is really weird. All other dragging operations seem to work fine in the webview, just text selection fails. I'm pretty sure this worked before. I'll try to figure out what's wrong.

1 Like

Regarding the automatic window repositioning, I tried the solution you suggested. Despite adding the action, it does not solve the problem. The window does not reposition automatically.

I think I might have found the text selection issue, would be great if you could test v 4.438 alpha (uploading now). It was hard to find because it only happens with a certain, not super common, combination of settings in BTT.

This version also adds a new option to reposition:

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, the bug is now fixed for text selection, it works perfectly. As for the window repositioning, it seems to be working correctly as well.

The only thing that doesn't work is when I select text with the action "Transform and replace selection with ChatGPT," it doesn't work in the "Floating WebView" windows.

Does the "Transform & replace selection with ChatGPT" action work anywhere else for you? To me it looks like last week's macOS 14.4 update broke that action everywhere.

I added some workarounds that should make it work again to 4.440 alpha (uploading now)

1 Like

Perfect, this solves the problem, except when using the "Transform and replace selection with ChatGPT" action with the 'Custom Context Menu (NEW)'.

Ah tricky edge case :slight_smile: Should now be solved in 4.441 alpha (uploading now).

Thanks for all the testing & reporting!!

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback and responsiveness.

I installed and tested the latest version 4.442 (44420). After several attempts, the bug is still present; it does not take into account the selection with the "Transform and Replace Selection with ChatGPT" function using the 'Custom Context Menu (NEW)'.

I notice a bug regarding window repositioning when using multiple monitors and switching back to a single monitor, the window no longer repositions correctly.

After restarting my computer during the day, it seems that the issue has been resolved regarding the selection function with the "Transform and Replace Selection with ChatGPT" feature using the 'Custom Context Menu (NEW)'.

I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

Thank you

I think it‘s somehow related to other BTT windows. I’ll have a look again tomorrow!