Disable/hide unneeded BTT sections

@Frank1
I've seen those before, but I would have never thought of using them like that. Anyway, as you already guessed, I'm now quite happy with my solution. Still more complicated than simple buttons and it feels (and looks) a bit odd, but in the end it does the job nicely:

Notably, this menu always appears with the top aligned with the cursor—so no scrolling anymore to even see the options at the top, which was the biggest problem for me with the default popup.

Anyway, thanks again for pointing me toward the custom menu. I had never used one before, but they're really easy to set up. Might just use them for other purposes as well now! :slight_smile:

I think this looks pretty good :slightly_smiling_face: most important, just the sections you want and no scrolling.

Yes, most avoid conflict menus. I find them quite useful.

You are welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

After thinking more about this, I think I found an OK compromise.
With the latest alpha you can now hide sections. They will not be hidden completely but moved to a sub-menu. This should prevent people from "not finding" things.

There are some limitations. Most important: keyboard shortcuts will currently not work for the hidden sections, but you can set them up yourself with the previously mentioned predefined action.

1 Like

Thank you Andreas, that is absolutely an improvement and indeed a good compromise. Though I must say I will probably stick with my custom menu now because the standard popup will always pre-select the currently active section and if that is low in the list, the top will get cut off if the screen space is insufficient, and thus I'm back to scrolling most of the time. The custom menu, on the other hand, is always visible in its entirety, making it much easier to predict, and I can even have the sections in the order I prefer. :slight_smile: (Not sure if the preselection is needed or helpful for the standard popup, but I suspect it's a standard UI element that just behaves this way.)

Still, I'm sure this will help a lot of people.

Btw, the new "Generic Devices" section is not yet available to be hidden in the preferences UI section.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but if I understand correctly: a) I can still activate hidden sections by their default keyboard shortcut and b) I still can't find a predefined action for assigning custom shortcuts to activate a given section...? (Using 3.9999.)

Do you perhaps mean this? :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed I do! Thanks. I was searching for "Section", expecting that instead of "Category" since it's the term used in Prefs. It should probably be made identical in both places. (Not much between the two terms, though personally I find "section" more intuitive.)

Apart from that term, though, why is it called "... in BTT Settings"? That sounds like "Preferences" to me. Simply "... in BetterTouchTool" would be shorter and perhaps less ambiguous...?

Ahm, sorry, I was not there when this child was baptized :slightly_smiling_face:

What might help in your search: All actions are sorted by topics. This can be found under "BTT internal actions". I would say that makes sense.

I'm aware. Somehow I still missed it, perhaps because of the unexpected terminology.

The question about the term was of course directed @Andreas_Hegenberg, not at you.

I also realized the naming is unfortunate and fixed it for the next version. It will now show up in search when either searching for category or section

1 Like