Custom-snapped window reverts to previous size on move

Describe the bug
I was experiencing this issue with BetterSnapTool, so I downloaded BetterTouchTool to see if it fixed the issue. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same behavior. After resizing a window with a custom snap area, if I try to move the window, it reverts to the previous size.

When setting up a screen capture to demonstrate the behavior, I experienced an odd quirk that may or may not be a clue into the issue. If I try and move a max-height window while recording my screen, the window does not revert to the previous size the first time I move it, but reverts the 2nd time I move it. (See first video.) However, if the window is not max height, the window reverts to the previous size the first time I move it. (See 2nd video.) I've tested both of these situations multiple times (with the same custom snap areas you see in the videos) and the behavior is consistent.

If I'm not recording my screen – which, believe it or not, I don't have a video for – the window reverts to previous size on the first move regardless of the window height. (By the way, I removed screen recording permissions for all apps other than BetterTouchTool and restarted my computer before taking these screen recordings.)

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
MacBook Pro display

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro M1 Max
  • macOS version: Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.9993

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
If I custom-snap a window then manually resize it before moving it, the window does not revert size.

restoring the previous size on move is the default behavior, but you can disable that in the window snapping preferences! (currently not on my computer, can post screenshot later)

Oh wow. Thank you very much. This is not the first time I've had an issue that you've already foreseen and created a setting for. Very well done!

I know that changing default settings runs the risk of annoying existing users who've come to expect one thing, but for what it's worth, I find the window resize on move to be jarring.

For anyone who's coming here for the same reason, here's a screenshot of the setting location:

hehe this default exists since 2009, I really can't change that :slight_smile: But as far as I know most users expect it to be like this because they are used to it from other operating systems. I think most of them restore the previous size by default

1 Like