Custom Condition Value Variable resets itself automatically

Describe the bug
I want to have a set of triggers that are only active when I have a certain mouse connected. As far as I can tell, this is not directly possible within BTT, so I've created a workaround that also utilizes Keyboard Maestro. The solution is working quite well, other than a single small bug. I'll go through how I've solved the issue, as well as the bug, but I'm also open to the possibility that I've simply gone about this wrong way and there's an easier way.

So I've created a conditional activation group that is triggered based on the value of the BTT Variable "customVariable1". Whenever a USB Device is attached or detached, Keyboard Maestro looks for a device of a specific name in my USB connections and changes "customVariable1" via AppleScript to either "connected" or "disconnected". Then BTT sees this change and enables the triggers for that device.

My issue, which I believe to be a bug (but could just be my misinterpretation of the functionality) is that BTT "customVariable1" keeps resetting itself to a null value at a regular interval, and I can't tell how or why.

I imagine this task is ideally better suited for a Persistent Variable set in btt_user_variables.plist, but as far as I can tell those aren't exposed as a potential condition under conditional activation groups. Again, it's possible I'm just doing this wrong -- but it seems like this should be possible.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Conditional Activation Groups; Mouse Triggers

Screenshots
I don't think there's anything relevant, but if I'm wrong and there's something you need, let me know.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 14" 2021 w/ M1 Max
  • macOS version: 12.5 Beta
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.812

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
As far as I can tell, there are three potential solutions:

• Make custom BTT conditional value variables persistent, or optionally persistent;
  • Allow conditional activation groups to use user script variables as conditions;
  • Change / fix functionality of conditional activation groups include "USB Device Attached with name containing..." (etc), removing the need for KM and the variables altogether.