"Could not restart" after waking from sleep

Describe the bug
When waking my Mac from sleep and clicking "Restart" in the BTT menu bar, I get this error.

There was an issue restarting BetterTouchTool. This can usually be fixed by opening the BTTRelaunch app manually once. BTT will now show the folder that contains the BTTRelaunch app.

When clicking Restart manually, the error is shown, but after 3-5 seconds, BetterTouchTool manages to restart successfully by itself.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
n/a

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Air M2
  • macOS version: Monterey 12.5
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.938 (2101) – also happens on latest stable

Try opening the BTT Relaunch app manually once (open /Applications/BetterTouchTool.app/Contents/Resources/BTTRelaunch.app ). Maybe it was denied permissions the first time BTT launched

If that doesn't help, delete BTT and download a fresh copy

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll note that BTT manages to restart by itself, so the message seems like a "false-positive".

I've launched BTTRelaunch.app several times via the Finder and Terminal to no avail (the dialog doesn't show where it is, by the way.)

I just rm -rf'd /Applications/BetterTouchTool.app and downloaded it again, same behaviour.

BTTRelaunch.app doesn't seem to do anything. BTT still seems to restart fine when I click Restart in the menu (after closing the Could not restart dialog.)

BTTRelaunch doesn't do anything visible, but it's necessary to restart without causing issues. When this message appears BTT falls back to a very old way of relaunching an app - this still works but comes with multiple issues.

BTTRelaunch should always be visible in Activity Monitor

Could you go to Help -> Export Diagnostic Debug Info and send the result to andreas@folivora.aI? This will at least tell me why the message is shown.

Thanks again. Sent zip with debug files just now.

Edit: Also, yes, BTTRelaunch is present in Activity monitor.

Unfortunately the log shows that the system thinks there is no BTTRelaunch running. BTT relies on the info it gets from the system, but the system returns apparently invalid information in your case. I don't know what could cause this, is there anything special about your macOS installation?

Are you running as standard admin user or do maybe use an account with fewer permissions?

I've got the same issue.

• I'm logged in as admin user.
  • I noticed that this usually happens if I let my Mac go to sleep due to inactivity (not when I close the lid or put it manually to sleep).
  • One thing that's particular about my macOS installation is that I've symlinked some of the BTT data to Dropbox:
❯ l ~/Library/Application\ Support/BetterTouchTool | grep Mackup
lrwxr-xr-x    90 user_here 17 Mar  2020  btt_data_store.v2 -> /Users/user_here/Dropbox/Mackup/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/btt_data_store.v2
lrwxr-xr-x    94 user_here 17 Mar  2020  btt_data_store.v2-shm -> /Users/user_here/Dropbox/Mackup/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/btt_data_store.v2-shm
lrwxr-xr-x    94 user_here 17 Mar  2020  btt_data_store.v2-wal -> /Users/user_here/Dropbox/Mackup/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/btt_data_store.v2-wal
lrwxr-xr-x    90 user_here 17 Mar  2020  btt_data_store.version_3_914_build_2077 -> /Users/user_here/Dropbox/Mackup/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/btt_data_store.v2
lrwxr-xr-x    94 user_here 17 Mar  2020  btt_data_store.version_3_914_build_2077-shm -> /Users/user_here/Dropbox/Mackup/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/btt_data_store.v2-shm
lrwxr-xr-x    94 user_here 17 Mar  2020  btt_data_store.version_3_914_build_2077-wal -> /Users/user_here/Dropbox/Mackup/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/btt_data_store.v2-wal
lrwxr-xr-x    81 user_here 17 Mar  2020  bttdata2 -> /Users/user_here/Dropbox/Mackup/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool/bttdata2

I'm not sure if that affects anything.

I've sent you the Diagnostic Debug Info to your email.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide that could help resolve this issue.