Constant crashing

Describe the bug
This seems to happen most often while I'm configuring and testing triggers with my stream deck, but I'm yet to get the exact pattern.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Stream Deck (maybe)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023
  • macOS version: 14.1.2 (23B92)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.333

Additional information (e.g. crash logs, related issues, etc.):
This kind of repeated crashing has been going on since before my update to macOS 14 as well as before my latest BTT update.

Example of a set of crashes over 30 minutes of working on a new trigger for Stream Deck
Archive.zip (73.7 KB)

thanks for the crashlogs! will fix them

1 Like

Have you had any luck with these crashes? I'm noticing maybe a related problem. BTT often crashes just randomly when I'm not using a specific shortcut. This is different than the crashes that I attached in the report because these ones are otherwise silent whereas I have crash reports for the ones above. I also still frequently get crashes like the one described originally, but they are now more often silent restarts when using a steam deck trigger.

The way I typically notice this is that I'm typing, and suddenly some of my keyboard input doesn't get registered. I look up at the menu bar, BTT is gone, and a second or 2 later, it's restarted and keyboard input works again.

I'm trying the process priority helper tool to see if that addresses the lost keystroke issues, but the fact that it seems BTT is restarting doesn't have me hopeful.

The other, harder to correlate issue, is that my clipboard is getting cleared out every 20-200 seconds. And one of my theories is that BTT might be clearing the clipboard on restart as part of the clipboard manager. When this happens, I typically trigger the clipboard manager as it does have my history and thus I can retrieve what I was trying to paste, but still annoying.

Could you go to Help => Export Diagnostic Debug Information and send the result to me? (andreas@folivora.ai)

I analyzed the crash logs above, and while they are pretty detailed, I couldn't find an issue with the code. Maybe something in the config is corrupted and BTT doesn't catch it.

I emailed the files Friday. Let me know if there is anything else I can send or do that would help.

Unfortunately I still can't reproduce / figure out the issue.
I think it could be related to a conditional activation group - but I couldn't find anything bad in your config.

Do you have any way to reproduce the issue?

I'll try to see if I can figure out what is happening right before BTT restarts (it's hard to notice it's restarting, but I now have it in my Dock Menu and we'll see if that helps). And the cause is likely intermittent.

One thing I have been able to verify, is that the clipboard is cleared every time BTT restarts. This one is easy to reproduce:

• Fill clipboard
  • verify that pasting works
  • Select "restart BTT" from the icon menu
  • note that cmd-v does not paste anything

Some of the shortcuts I use involve interacting with the clipboard, maybe copy/paste is part of the problem. If clipboard contents could be preserved on restart, that would at least remove a major pain point of the bug for me.

Oh! I think I might know how to reproduce it consistently. It appears to be highly correlated with the closing of a Chrome browser window. If I close a browser tab, no problem. But when I close the last tab in a window it seems that BTT restarts within the next few seconds. I wonder if this might be related to "Active Website URL" which I use for many of my conditional activation groups.

I also just caught it happening as I closed the window of another application which then put a browser window in the foreground. As well as opening a NEW browser window while testing typing this message. Then again after closing that opened window. It's not reproducing EVERY time, but it's pretty close.

I think this could be it, one of your crashlogs contained a reference to the active url condition, but I couldn’t make sense of it.
I’ll try to reproduce!

Ah, another thing that seems to be cause a crash that came along with a diagnostic report (but not every time) is to minimize a chrome window to the dock menu. I've attached a crash report from the latest instance of that test.

BetterTouchTool-2024-02-20-142649.ips.zip (7.8 KB)

could you maybe also check with the latest alpha (4.403)? I already made a little change to the active url handling when I looked at the crashlogs yesterday - maybe that already makes a difference.

From my first 5 minutes of testing all of the reproduction steps above, it seems to be more stable. No crashes yet. I'll keep monitoring and see if this version fixes it!

1 Like

Went hours last night without a crash, and hours this morning as well. I did get one crash when opening a terminal window, but couldn't reproduce that. Thanks for the fixes, this makes a huge improvement for my workflow.

Any possibility of having clipboard contents restored on restart? Or would you prefer I open a separate topic for that request?

Great, thanks for testing!

I'll look into why the clipboard is erased.