Closing several apps at once?

Hello! Love the app! I'm the type of person who tends to open lots of stuff and then forget to close it. For example, I've noticed that Apple Maps continues to use CPU in the background and takes up a lot of memory. I usually end up with a bunch of apps that stay open and hog resources.

I would love to have a keyboard shortcut or a time-based feature where if none of the apps I put in a list hasn't been used in 1 hour, they would automatically close. I would only include basic apps in the list that are not important or require any kind of data saving, such as Maps, iMessage, Spotify, Preview, Calculator, etc.

I've tried searching around for a solution, but couldn't find anything. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has this problem? :sweat_smile:

I don't want to judge whether this is a good idea :slightly_smiling_face: and I'm also not sure whether this is the best way to do it, but this should work.

Time-based trigger (executed every x minutes): Advanced Conditions, if app is running e.g. "TextEdit", then go to that app and quit it.

This is the sequence of actions

And here is the advanced condition

that wouldn't account for the "app hasn't been used in 1 hour".
I think you would need more complicated logic that sets a timestamp to a variable when the app is activated (or deactivated) and then checks that variable to see whether the app was active in the last hour.

This would at least require some scripting (either Apple Script or Java Script).

Ah, yes that's right.

Maybe a hint (after a certain time) would be possible "Quit TextEdit?" yes, no.

Is there a way to enter commandQ command to a list of applications then?

Ive been trying out keyboard maestro to this. And it works fine. You can just use "close all other apps" and then you have an exclusion list for apps not closing. But I do prefer to just use BTT.

Are there really any need for using both keyboard maestro and BTT?

Me too.

For me, yes, for many reasons.