Check for update, auto-update and launch on startup not working

Describe the bug
Clicking on the "Check for updates" button in Advanced Settings yields an error:

BetterTouchTool can’t be updated when it’s running from a read-only volume like a disk image or an optical drive. Move BetterTouchTool to Applications folder using Finder, relaunch it from there, and try again.

BTT is in the Applications folder, however.

Auto update also doesn't seem to work, I had to manually update to 2.530.

I've restarted BTT, also the whole machine.

This has always worked before, no idea why it doesn't now.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2017 15" MBP
  • macOS version: 10.13.5
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.530

PS: I've also noticed BTT won't launch automatically at login anymore, even though that option is enabled. I have a feeling that's a related issue...

BTT 2.503 also ignores the "enable automated update checking" setting (checks and nags anyway).

Regarding the launch at login issue, I've noticed that Login Items in System Prefs is cluttered with useless BTT entries:

Deleting all of them and disabling, then re-enabling the "Launch on startup" option in BTT produces a seemingly valid entry in Login Items, but on login it still doesn't launch. However, disabling the option, removing all BTT entries from the list and adding the BTT app manually (via the "+" button) works without problems—just like manually launching the app does.

I'm still having these issues with 2.645 on 10.13.6. A reply would be much appreciated.

I am having this same issue. It started after I did a clean install of High Sierra and reinstalled BTT. Now I have to manually launch BTT every time I restart the computer. I was hoping to find a solution for it. I guess I could try removing and reinstalling it.