Can BTT send MIDI Output?

Is this possible?

If not, does anyone know if it is in the pipeline?

Thanks!

No, but we still waiting for the reply from Andreas :pray:

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Really hope BTT can add this functionality, it would make my life so much easier!

1 Like

Still no answer to this :frowning:

I was excited to see MIDI Support ... Started building my Touchscreen Menus to learn no MIDI Output is supported... DRAT!, I REALLY hoped to have midi output to change parameters on the fly while I perform live. Bummer

the Floating Menu system i wonderful to build a Custom Icon based "Launcher" with lots of cool custom scripts.... I need MIDI output to control Parameters of my DAW (Logic Pro) ....... The TOUCHSCREEN Monitor/Display ecosystem is alive and has been working well for my using TOUCH-BASE's UPDD Driver(s)

~RandomPlanet

2 Likes

Hi guys, yes, I am in. Just ordered FaderFox EC4 and have to dive into the MIDI game too. For Elgato there is a nordish smart guy who develops a fantastic MIDI implementation for StreamDeck and the others, you can buy pro-software related to that from other developers already. Looks awesome.
Isn't there any public library which can be used for/ in BTT?

Benefit of using a MIDI controller with BTT off the music track is the additional amount of triggers without overblowing existing keyboard/ mouse/ trackpad shortcuts. Just imagine to in/decrease text size in macOS Pages via MIDI rotation knob, in Preview the push-rotary nr. 1 marks selected text in yellow, nr. 2 in blue (great for visualizing content vs. links in scientific papers).
As I will have that MIDI-box all the time right of my M1, this is going to be a logical and interesting step for me to extend BTT.

The problem is, I don't know much about MIDI and what would be needed. If anybody could give me a basic overview of what you'd expect BTT being able to do, I could probably add it.

Actually, I just gave it a try. v4.581 alpha adds a new predefined action "Send MIDI Command":

Would be great if you could test it as I don't have any real usecase.

2 Likes

Hi will go for testing next days, thanks for that Andreas! :heart:

Some information and links for usecases for MIDI:

Control BTT via MIDI: I found this video today, which explains 100% what I thought of. Didn't know, that there's an App already doing this to control Keyboard Maestro. Still, I would use BTT as it is so powerful:

If you're interested generally in the topic MIDI: Trevliga Spel is the 1-person developer/ nerd/ teacher from Stockholm who rocks independently for the Elgato StreamDeck Lines for free. He is a MIDI nerd and his website and his youtube tutorials are a great resource what is possible with MIDI. Very well organized and full of in-depth.

To see, what this is capable of: playlist of a commercial company:

If you're into a German MIDI quality and perfection nerd: Faderfox by Mathias from Hamburg, pretty expensive but used worldwide by pro's live on stage or in the studio:

• https://faderfox.de
  • I was referring to his device EC4, which got version update 2.0 a month ago, to use the potis and push buttons to send to MIDI CC's (control data) to BTT to trigger macOS, e.g. Pages, Numbers. This frees up my keyboard and my brain and the control becomes haptic.
  • if you like Techno, this guy shows how to make techno just by controlling the music via MIDI via the EC4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw8A1eGOP-M

Many music professionals using external MIDI controller to gain access to their expensive hardware synthesizers or - if live DJ/ musician on stage - samplers. The market for hardware synths, samplers and sequencers raises. As DJing is easy as f**** a lot of pro-djs already learn how to use hardware stuff to keep there pole position :wink: Their surfaces do not have enough controls, so you can control them via external hardware via MIDI. Since everyone uses a computer to make music, so the hardware is available, BTT could become interesting for them.

Future of MIDI:

• MIDI 2.0 already out, as MIDI reach back to the 70s/80s. MIDI 2.0: Wie der neue MIDI-Standard neue Instrumente und Klänge realisiert | heise online
  • MIDI 2.0 is still universal, you could also control lights in a club with it.
  • FYI: developers like Bitwig (ex Ableton people) and U-He (developed Zebra extensivley used by Hans Zimmer and other scoring composers) boosted last year the first open competitor to MIDI "CLAP". Reason: overcome the dependence to Apple or Steinberg to gain access to all internal DAW data processing for MIDI and AudioPlugIns. Hopefully CLAP pushes big companies to open up their data for music makers. But CLAP won't replace CLAP at all. u-he - CLAP | Clever Audio Plug-in API

That has always been possible (receiving midi events and performing actions based on them)! See:

With the new action you can send midi events to other apps.

Thanks for all the info!

2 Likes

WOW you actually did it! Testing immediately!

As far as I can tell it has to send MIDI command to a USB device or a virtual port (I've used BOME MIDI Translator) but what would be more useful is to send it to a DAW directly by having BTT's own MIDI virtual port - to use anything BTT could use as a trigger and make it into MIDI device. BTW my mind blew when I realised it actually works and it is usable... Unbeliveably huge amount of possibilities. Thank you for making this possible.

Can you elaborate? What would you need to make it more useful?
I could probably add a virtual midi port to BTT - how would you like that to behave?

I didn't understand your posting, too :smiley:
Actually I can push buttons on my midi controller to BTT which let the mouse cursor jump to LogicPro to push knobs which aren't implemented for short cuts.

Only downside is, that it might be more useful to read out the upfront window (e.g. the plugin window) because then re-zooming the whole window won't break the action trigger. To explain: variation in the buttons of the VI might let BTT misinterpret for which "picture" to look for.

What should I tell you according its behaviour? I mean I cannot use this commands to send them to a DAW (FL studio/Logic Pro/ Reason etc) because BTT have no MIDI ports and MIDI device cannot be added to a DAW. The first use case for MIDI out was always custom MIDI CC sliders with smart menu that is set up with a BTT folder structure. I wanted to always have portable MIDI controller inside MacBook itself without a need to connect anything to it.

More to say - it will be good to have a MIDI out slider directly (now I'll try to set it up with a script). I will update info about testing in this topic. Now I miss functionality to press a key and send MIDI note as long as the key pressed but it is configurable with flow control I guess.

Are we talking about MIDI out command from BTT?

so if I added virtual port to BTT you could connect these apps to BTT? And the action would basically send the midi commands to that virtual port?

I’ll try that (I really have no idea about all of this ;-))

1 Like

Yes, I guess it will work! Action sends commands to a MIDI port, BTT's virtual port is connected to an app, app is receiving MIDI and voila - BTT is huge custom a MIDI device. Now im testing it via Bome Translator virtual port.

Is there a way to use variables is the "send MIDI command" menu? Or trigger MIDI out with variables via AppleScript?
Foe example, I want to use custom AppleScript slider for sending MIDI CC's which are using variables